- [16-17 cents] / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
282 pp. (foliated and paginated v ff. + 266 pp. + 3 blank ff.) ;295 x 203 to 309 x 210 mm.Rebound at NLW.The first eight pages are fragmentary.The first eight pages are fragmentary.
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
An incomplete Welsh translation by Richard Owen [? 1552] of Joannes Ludovicus Vives: De institutione faeminae Christiana; 'proffwydoliaeth sibli ddoeth'; a Welsh vocabulary - 'henwau arglwydd', etc.; pedigrees - mythological and biblical, Welsh princes, 'Bonedd y Saint', etc.; accounts for corn and straw, 1589; an incomplete copy of the Welsh version of the Earl of Arundel's charter to the inhabitants of Chirk and Chirkland, 1334; a fragment of a transcript of Brut y Brenhinedd; a letter by John Ley; directions concerning preachers by James I; the assize of arms and tables of precedence; medical recipes; and a fragment of an English play (published in Malone Soc. Collections, vol IX (1977) pp. 24-9) in which the sexton of St Denys Church is a character.
The first eight pages are fragmentary.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Access to the original manuscript by authorised permission only. Readers are directed to use surrogate copies.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright laws apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The description is also available in Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, Part I (Aberystwyth, 1940-3), 10.
Generated finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Available on microfilm at the Library.
Related units of description
Formerly Hengwrt MS 326.
Preferred citation: Peniarth MS 403 [RESTRICTED ACCESS].
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
- Welsh language -- Glossaries, vocabularies, etc.
- Princes -- Wales.
- Saints -- Genealogy
- Corn -- Accounting
- Straw -- Accounting
- Knights and knighthood -- England.
- Medicine -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions
- Traditional medicine -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions
- Chirk (Wales) -- Charters, grants, privileges.
Place access points
Name access points
- Chirkland (Wales : Lordship) -- Charters, grants, privileges (Subject)
- Arundel and Surrey, Richard Fitzalan, Earl of, ca. 1313-1376 (Subject)
- Vives, Juan Luis, 1492-1540 -- Translations into Welsh (Subject)
- Henry II, King of England, 1133-1189. (Subject)
- Owen, Richard, fl. 1552 (Subject)
- Ley, John, 1583-1662. (Subject)
- James I, King of England, 1566-1625 (Subject)