NLW MS 13233B.
Poetical miscellanea, lists of British saints, etc.,
Level of description
Extent and medium
118 pp. (thirteen pages blank; pages 91- 114 appear to be wrongly bound, the correct sequence being pp. 107-114, 91- 106. Several folios have been cut out of the volume).Bound in quarter leather with marbled paper sides.Several folios excised.Several folios excised.
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A composite volume, pages 1-74 being in the hand of William Owen [-Pughe], pp- 75-90 in the hand of Evan Evans, 'Ieuan Fardd', and the title on p. 115 in the hand of Lewis Morris. The contents include: pp. 1-24, 'Golygiad ar farddoniaeth Lewis Glyn Cothi', being a catalogue of 223 poems [apparently based on the collection in B.M. Add. MS 14963], with some brief observations; pp. 29-31, a list of some parishes and divisions in Wales; p. 33, 'Awdl a gant Hywel ab Owain Gwynedd' beginning 'Dyn [sic] dewisy riein virein veindec . . .'; pp. 35-8, an incomplete index to the poems published in Owen Jones & William Owen, Barddoniaeth Dafydd ab Gwilym (Llundain, 1789), tt. 1-166; pp. 40-52, a list of the names of British saints; pp. 54-69, a further list of saints with their descent; pp. 71-4, a list of titles of the poems of [Dafydd ap Gwilym], most of which are crossed out; pp. 76-89, transcripts of 'Gwaith Argoed Llwyfein' by Taliesin, 'Arwyrein Owain Gwynedd' by Gwalchmai, and 'Marwnad Llywelyn fab Gruffudd' by Bleddyn Fardd, with parallel Latin translations; p. 90, a note by Evan Evans in Latin concerning Llywelyn ap Gruffydd and Madoc Min; pp. 91-114, four 'cywyddau' by 'Ieuan Fardd' ('Ieuan hirfardd', 'Ieuan ap Siencyn Ieuan'), [i.e. Evan Evans, 'Ieuan Brydydd Hir'), one dated 1752, and two by Gronwy [sic] Owen, one also dated 1752; pp. 115-17, 'Hyriad it Offeiriad o Dregaron, am ddywedyd nad oedd ym marwnad Ffredrig Tywysog Cymru nag Iaith na Chynganedd. 1752' by 'Ieuan Fardd', see infra, pp. 93-7.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The description is also available in the Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, Volume IV (Aberystwyth, 1971).
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Formerly known as Mysevin 13.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 13233B.
Virtua system control number
Place access points
Name access points
- William Owen-Pughe, 'Ieuan Fardd' and Lewis Morris. (Creator)
- Lewis Glyn Cothi, active 1440-1490 (Subject)
- Dafydd ap Gwilym, active 14th century (Subject)
- Taliesin -- Translations into Latin (Subject)
- Owain Gwynedd, ca. 1100-1170 -- Poetry (Subject)
- Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, -1282 -- Death and burial -- Poetry (Subject)
- Bleddyn, Fardd, active 13th century -- Translations into Latin (Subject)
- Gwalchmai ap Meilyr, fl. 1130-1180 -- Translations into Latin (Subject)
- Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, -1282 (Subject)
- Madog Min (Pseudo-historical figure) (Subject)
- Evans, Evan, 1731-1788 (Subject)
- Morris, Lewis, 1701-1765 (Subject)
- Hywel ab Owain Gwynedd, fl. 1140-1170 (Subject)
- Taliesin (Subject)
- Gwalchmai ap Meilyr, fl. 1130-1180 (Subject)
- Bleddyn, Fardd, active 13th century (Subject)
- Owen, Goronwy, 1723-1769? (Subject)
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales