NLW MS 12731E.
- [1601x1750]. (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The inscriptions 'William Wynne, his book', and 'William Wynne his Booke, wittnes by me William Wynne, 1721', appear on fly-leaves, whilst faded traces of an inscription similar in wording to the second of these appear on the outside, lower cover. Also found at the beginning or end of the volume are the inscription 'William Wynne de Maesynuodd (Maesynuoydd), Esqr., in the County of Merioneth, Deceased', and the names of Robt. Morgan, Maurice Owen, Hugh Mredith, Mrs. Anne Morgans of Plascanol, Edward Morris, gent., Mrs. Margret Vaughan, Elizabeth Cruse, Margaret Cruse, Jane Cruse, Robt. Wynne, Jane Wynne, and Francis [Hare], bishop of St. Asaph.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A folio volume, the contents of which consists mainly of transcripts, in a variety of hands, of Welsh verse in strict metre, including 'cywyddau' and 'englynion' by Tho[mas] lloyd Ienga, Cad[wala]dr Thomas, W[illia]m Phillip, Huw Lloyd Cynfel, John Davies, Owain Griffith, Robert Humphrey (y prydydd bach), John Richart, Davydd lloyd llewelyn ap Gruffyth (o fathafarn), Gutto'r Glynn, Davyd Nanmor, Lewis Môn, Theodor (Tydur) Aled, Robin ddu ap sianckin Bledrydd, Hugh Machno, John Phylyp, Gruffyth Phylip, Richard Kynwal, Ievan llwyd, John Owenes, Philip Jo[h]n Philip, Rys Cain, Jo[h]n V[ augha]n (Caergai), David Davies, Edm[wnd] Prys, and D[avi]d Lloyd ap Will[ ia]m. There is also some Welsh verse in free metre by Rowland Vaughan (Caer Gai). Other items include copies of a rental of chief rents issuing to the crown out of the hundred of Ardydwy ywch artro, and out of Isartro [co. Merioneth], 1623, and of a rental of assize rents in the vill of Llanaber [co. Merioneth], 1637; pedigrees of the families of Anwyll [of Park, parish of Llanfrothen, co. Merioneth], Wynn [of Gwydir, co. Caernarvon], and Wynn [of Maesyneuadd, parish of Llandecwyn, co. Merioneth ]; maternal pedigrees of several North Wales families; a copy of 'The message of king Hen[ry] the seventh, as he was on his march to Bosworth field, to John ap Meredith, as it is in Edward Puleston's Bk.'; a memorandum, 1676, by Robert Wynne, of a lease of lands called Moel y Glo to Gruff Owen; and a few lines of English and Latin verse.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Welsh, English, Latin.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The description is also available in the Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, Volume IV (Aberystwyth, 1971).
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Formerly known as D. E. Jenkins 1.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 12731E.
Virtua system control number
Place access points
Name access points
- Lloyd, Thomas, the younger, poet (Subject)
- Thomas, Cadwaladr, poet (Subject)
- Phylip, William, 1579-1669 (Subject)
- Llwyd, Huw, 1568?-1630? (Subject)
- Davies, John, d. 1694 (Subject)
- Gruffydd, Owen, approximately 1643-1730 (Subject)
- Humphrey, Robert, poet (Subject)
- Guto'r Glyn, fl. 1430-1468 (Subject)
- Richards, John, 1720-1764 (Subject)
- Dafydd Llwyd, of Mathafarn, approximately 1420-1500 (Subject)
- Dafydd Nanmor, active 1450-1490 (Subject)
- Lewys Môn, approximately 1465-1527 (Subject)
- Tudur Aled, approximately 1465-approximately 1525 (Subject)
- Robin Ddu, fl. 1450 (Subject)
- Huw Machno, active 1585-1637 (Subject)
- Phylip, Siôn, approximately 1543-1620 (Subject)
- Phylip, Gruffydd, d. 1666 (Subject)
- Cynwal, Richard, d. 1634 (Subject)
- Owenes, John (Subject)
- Ieuan Llwyd Brydydd (Subject)
- Philip, Phillip John (Subject)
- Rhys Cain, -1614 (Subject)
- Vaughan, John, Caergai (Subject)
- Davies, David, poet (Subject)
- Prys, Edmund, 1544-1623 (Subject)
- David Lloyd ap William (Subject)
- Vaughan, Rowland, active 1629-1658 (Subject)
- Wynne, Robert, fl. 1676 (Subject)
- Owain, Gruffudd (Subject)
- Anwyl family, of Park. (Subject)
- Wynn family, of Gwydir (Subject)
- Wynn family, of Maesyneuadd. (Subject)
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales