Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Royal Cambrian and Llandrindod Wells Residential School for the Deaf
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The education of deaf or hearing-impaired children in Wales began as early as 1847, when the Cambrian Educational Society took practical steps to gain public support in establishing an institution for the education of children with hearing and speech impediments. The new School, funded by donation or subscription, was initially located in Aberystwyth. In 1850 it moved to Picton Place, Swansea, and in 1857 to a new building at Craig Field, Swansea. In 1898 the Institution was formally styled as ‘The Royal Cambrian Institution for the Deaf and Dumb.’ As a result of the intense bombardment of the city of Swansea during 1941, the School was forced to evacuate their Craig Field site and find alternative premises in Newbridge-on-Wye and Rhayader.
The need for education for deaf children continued to grow during this period and by 1950 the School Trustees, finding it difficult to meet increasing demand, transferred responsibility for the School to the Welsh Joint Education Committee. The School relocated to spacious premises in Llandrindod Wells and opened on 17 October 1950 with 157 pupils. The Governing Body of the School consisted of one representative member of every Local Education Authority in Wales, and maintenance costs were shared by the participating local authorities. In 1973 the School closed, following changes in the provision of education for deaf and hearing-impaired children.