Produced at the petition of Edward Price, gent., to the Court of the Council of Wales and the Marches at Shrewsbury, 27 March 1584, being an inspeximus of several charters by benefactors of the Abbey of Ystrad Marchell.
The first of them is the sale and confirmation by Elis Madoc of land called Llecheudin (boundaries described), 1183. Secondly are three gifts in frank almoin of Wenunwen ap Owin, namely: all the pasturage-rights in the whole of the province called Keveilliauc [Cyfeiliog, co. Montgomery], 1201, within boundaries from Bon Main Melin to Lluin Ecrois, as far as Blain Nanhanauc, then to Abernant Karthbrandu and along the length of this stream to Carnethwyn, and thence to Gobleithen and from there to Blain Nant Teyling to its mouth, and thence the Bacho to Aber Dengum, along the Dengum to its source, and thence to Keilleg’, thence to the Reidiaul, along the Reidiaul to Gwrhet Kei, and thence the Reidiaul again to Aber Camdwr Keveiliauc, and from the latter to its source, thence to Blain Eynniaun, along the Eynniaun to its mouth, and thence along the Deui to Aber Dulas, and along the Dwlas to its source, and thence to Kenghulf, and thence to Blain Lloido, and along the Lloido to its mouth, and thence the Deui to Aber Llewenith, and along the Llewenith to its source, thence directly to Red Pebellua on the Clawedauc, and thence along the Clawedauc to the Gwernach, and along the Gwernach to its source, and thence as the higher hill leads to Red Derwen and thus along the Derwen to Euernoe, and thence Nant er Heyre to Lledwern, and from Blain Lledwern directly to Bon Main Melin, which gift is subject to no secular or ecclesiastical restrictions other than right of pasture which Wenunwen has granted, with the consent of the monks of Stradmarchell, to the monks of Cumhyr between the Corf and the Eynniaun, and to the monks of Kemmer at Lloidarth and Cumketlli on the other side of the river; the land of Dolwen (boundaries described), 1200; and pasture in the province of Mochnant, from Dolewennev near Aberkenllith to Cum Vagel, in breadth from Kenneureon to the river called Euernoe and Llanwothin which is likewise the boundary, 1204/5. Further documents recited are: a gift in frank almoin by Meuric Seis son of Grifri, and Griffud his brother, son of the same Grifri, of land called Pervethgefn (boundaries described), and the sale by the descendants of Meuric and Griffid for £5 of land between Gwernach and Scuthon (further boundaries described), confirmed under the seal of Wenunwen, 1204; confirmation of Madoc ap Kalwallan of the charters of Owen of Keveiliauc and his sons, Wenunwen, Kaswallaun and Maredud, of Madoc ap Grifud, Owen Brogintun and Eliss, and of the land of Kaledfrud, as more fully described in a charter of Wenunwen, 1231/2; confirmation by King John of the charters of Owain of Keveiliauc, Wennonen his son and other benefactors, 1200; and a gift in frank almoin by Wennunwin ap Owin of land called Coitllin (boundaries described) which was sold by all its heirs to the monks for £22 [1206x1215]. The remainder comprises the recital of an inspeximus, 1420, by Edward de Charleton, Lord of Powys, of previous charters relating to lands (named) belonging to the Cistercian monastery of Stradmarchell in Keveilliauc [Cyfeiliog], Arewistely [Arwystli], Krenyann [Caereinion], Mechem [Mechain] and Moghnant [Mochnant], as confirmed in a charter of King Edward [II], and of the charter of his father, John de Charleton, and in consideration of the recent devastation caused by the Welsh rebels, a grant and confirmation to the abbot and convent of certain liberties regarding prosecution of the abbey’s own tenants for minor offences, cognizance and taxation of property, arrests within the monastery’s enclosure and freedom of toll for the purchase of animals and victuals for their own proper use. Witness: Henry Sidney, kt, Lord President of the Council of Wales and the Marches.