Peniarth MS 495 [RESTRICTED ACCESS].
Civil war and Commonwealth letters,
- [mid 19 cent.] / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
161 ff. (old pagination 1-9) (blank from f. 47 verso) ; 180 x 113 mm. Full vellum over boards.
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A notebook containing transcripts by W. W. E. Wynne of correspondence, 1642- 1655, mainly to and from Sir John Owen, taken from originals at Porkington. The correspondents include Charles I, Princes Rupert and Maurice, Gilbert Byron, John Byron, Robert Corbett, H. Mackworth, Thomas Mytton, William Neale, Richard Vaughan and John Williams, archbishop of York. Also included are notes by W. W. E. Wynne on Llanegryn and Llangelynnin churches, Merionethshire (ff. 8 verso-12). 'Historical Letters, &c: Peniarth MS 18 [corrected to] No. 75' on spine; '495' on label pasted on spine.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Access to the original manuscript by authorised permission only. Readers are directed to use surrogate copies.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright laws apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The description is also available in Graham C. G. Thomas, Peniarth MSS: Additional (Aberystwyth, 1990), 7.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Digital version available http://hdl.handle.net/10107/5551509 (January 2021)
Available on microfilm at the Library.
Related units of description
Preferred citation: Peniarth MS 495 [RESTRICTED ACCESS].
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- W. W. E. Wynne. (Creator)
- Brogyntyn Estate (England and Wales) (Subject)
- St Mary & St Egryn (Church : Llanegryn, Wales) (Subject)
- St Celynin (Church : Llangelynnin, Wales) (Subject)
- Owen, John, Sir, 1600-1666 -- Correspondence. (Subject)
- Wynne, William Watkin Edward, 1801-1880 (Subject)
- Owen, John, Sir, 1600-1666 (Subject)
- Charles I, King of England, 1600-1649 (Subject)
- Rupert, Prince, Count Palatine, 1619-1682 (Subject)
- Maurice, Prince, 1620-1652. (Subject)
- Byron, Gilbert, fl. 1642 (Subject)
- Byron, John Byron, Baron, 1598 or 9-1652. (Subject)
- Corbett, Robert, fl. 1642 (Subject)
- Mackworth, H., fl. 1642 (Subject)
- Mytton, Thomas, 1608-1656 (Subject)
- Neale, William, Sir, 1609/10-1691 (Subject)
- Vaughan, Richard, 2nd Earl Carbery, 1600?-1686 (Subject)
- Williams, John, 1582-1650 (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales