- [17 cent.]. (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
82 ff., f. 1 a fragment and top sections of ff. 2-4 wanting. Repaired and rebound in half vellum.
Name of creator
Name of creator
Name of creator
The following are among the names which occur in the manuscript: William (?) George, Alexander Lewis ( f. 34 recto), Myles Morgan and Rysse Morgan (f. 41 verso) and 'William Lewis (?) his bo[ok]' (f. 55 recto).
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A volume written in several hands of the seventeenth century and containing Welsh poetry mainly of a religious nature in strict and free metre ('cwndidau', 'cywyddau', 'penillion', etc .), a few medical and veterinary recipes, some in English, Welsh triads (f. 33 verso, 'llyma drioedd pawl'), and (ff. 36 verso, 40 verso) two items of religious verse in triplet metre in English. The poets whose work is represented are Thomas Lle'n (Thomas Lle'n Daio Pwel), Lle'n Daio Pwel, Thomas ap Ieuan ap Rys, Siankin Thomas, Gronw Wiliam, Davydd ap Risiart, Howell Siankin, Ieuan ap Rys 'o verthyr kynon', Wiliam Prys, Sion Siankin 'o benllin', Ll'n Sion, Sion(n) y Kent, Thomas Harry Morgan, Rys Goch, Howel Swrdwal, Iolo Goch, Howel D'd ap Ieann [sic] ap Rys, Davydd Ddu Hiraddig, Sion Tydr, Risiart D'd, Rees Pritchard (Rhys Prichard), Watkin Powell, and Jenk: [Richard]. Ff. 42 recto-69 verso contain poetical compositions by Rhys Prichard ['Yr Hen Ficer'], one dated 1616, and someone has supplied page references (in pencil) where possible to [Y Seren Foreu, neu Ganwyll y Cymry. Gan Rhys Pritchard A.M. . . . (Llanymddyfri: Rhys Tomas, 1770)]; there are, however, some differences between the manuscript and the printed text and not all the items in the manuscript are to be found in the printed volume. The handwriting of ff. 73 recto-74 verso is the same as that of NLW MS 13072B and I. A. Williams MS 7 and the contents of these pages relate in part to the year 1660. The last item in the volume is an incomplete copy of a long series of religious 'englynion' according to the letters of the alphabet by [Lewis Glyn Cothi]. There are a few annotations by Edward Williams, 'Iolo Morganwg', and a piece of paper bearing the name 'Taliesin Williams (Ab Iolo)' has been pasted in at the beginning of the volume.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The description is also available in the Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, Volume IV (Aberystwyth, 1971).
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Formerly known as Llanover E. 16.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 13178B.
Virtua system control number
Place access points
Name access points
- Llywelyn, Thomas, Rhigos, fl. c. 1580-1610 (Subject)
- Powell, Llywelyn Deio (Subject)
- Gronw Wiliam (Subject)
- Tomas ab Ieuan ap Rhys, ca. 1510-ca. 1560 (Subject)
- Thomas, Siancyn (Subject)
- Prys, Wiliam, poet (Subject)
- Dafydd ap Rhisiart (Subject)
- Howel Siancyn (Subject)
- Ieuan ap Rhys (Subject)
- Llywelyn Sion, 1540-1615? (Subject)
- Siancyn, Siôn (Subject)
- Siôn Cent, approximately 1367-approximately 1430 (Subject)
- Morgan, Thomas Harry (Subject)
- Prichard, Rhys, 1579-1644 (Subject)
- Rhys Goch Eryri, fl. 1385-1448 (Subject)
- Hywel Swrdwal, fl. 1430-1475 (Subject)
- Iolo, Goch, active 1345-1397 (Subject)
- Hywel ap Dafydd ab Ieuan ap Rhys, fl. 1450-1480 (Subject)
- Dafydd Ddu, o Hiraddug (Subject)
- Tudur, Siôn (Subject)
- Rhisiart Dafydd (Subject)
- Lewis Glyn Cothi, active 1440-1490 (Subject)
- Watcyn ap Hywel (Subject)
- Richards, Jenkin, fl. mid 17 cent. (Subject)
- Williams, Taliesin, 1787-1847 (Subject)