NLW MS 12169E.
Carmarthenshire elections, &c.,
- [1785x1815]. (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Material from the library of the Reverend John Lloyd, Brunant, Cayo, relating almost entirely to late eighteenth and early nineteenth century parliamentary elections for the county of Carmarthen and for the county of the borough of Carmarthen. They consist of poetry, including 'An Essay on the Characters &c. of the Governors of the Boro' of Carmarthen', 1789, 'From plain Truth addressed ... to the Cambrian Sappho' by Mrs. [Maria Justina] Cowell, 1802, 'The Carmarthenshire Parson and a Freeholder. A Dialogue' by [Lewis] Lewis, rector of Clovelly, 1802, etc.; a state of the poll for the hundred of Cayo in the Carmarthenshire election, 16 July - 2 August 1802; holograph and autograph letters, 1807, of Herbert Lloyd, Carmarthen, [Lord] Robert Seymour, Llandilo, and Danl. Price, Junior, Talley; addresses to the Freeholders of the county of Carmarthen by 'A Freeholder', 1807, and to Lord D[ynevor] by 'A Carmarthenshire Freeholder', undated; and printed matter including a poem entitled 'County of the borough of Carmarthen. November, 15th, 1796. The Independent Burgesses's Glory', 'Carmarthen Election Committee, April 5th, 1803. Extract from Mr. Adam's Speech at the Close of the Proceedings', addresses to the electors of co. Carmarthen by W[illiam] Paxton, 1803, 1806, R. Seymour, 1807, and [Sir] Willm. Mansel, Iscoed, 1807, and to the electors of Cardigan Boroughs by J[ohn] Vaughan, Crosswood, 1807, 'The recent Roman Catholic Concerns considered' ('Diweddar Negesau'r Papistiaid wedi eu hystyried') by 'A Protestant of Carmarthenshire' ('Protestant O Sir Gaerfyrddin'), etc.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The description is also available in Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, Volume IV (Aberystwyth, 1971).
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Formerly known as Brawdy 28.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 12169E.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
- Elections -- Wales -- Carmarthenshire.
- Landowners -- Wales -- Carmarthenshire
- Elections -- Wales -- Carmarthenshire -- Poetry
- Catholic Church
- Carmarthen (Wales) -- Officials and employees -- Poetry
- Carmarthenshire (Wales) -- Politics and government.
- Cardiganshire (Wales) -- Politics and government
Place access points
Name access points
- Lloyd, John, Cayo (Subject)
- Dynevor, George Talbot Rice, Baron, 1765-1852. (Subject)
- Cowell, Maria Justina (Subject)
- Lewis, Lewis, Rev., Clovelly (Subject)
- Lloyd, Herbert, Carmarthen (Subject)
- Seymour, Robert, Lord, d. 1831 (Subject)
- Price, Daniel, solicitor (Subject)
- Paxton, William, Sir, 1745-1824 (Subject)
- Mansel, William, Sir (Subject)
- Lisburne, John Vaughan, Earl, 1769-1831 (Subject)
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales