- Leases -- Wales -- Breconshire, 1 results
- Hymns, 1 results
- Leases -- Wales -- Carmarthenshire, 1 results
- Leases -- Wales -- Cardiganshire, 1 results
- Rent charges -- Wales -- Carmarthen, 1 results
- Rent charges -- Wales -- Meidrim (Carmarthenshire), 1 results
- Leases -- Wales -- Pembrokeshire, 1 results
- Leases -- Wales -- Radnorshire, 1 results
17 Archival description results for Carmarthen (Wales)
17 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
- NLW MS 13156A.
- [1785x1826] /
Part of Llanover Manuscripts
A volume containing general observations and instructions relating to agricultural and horticultural matters, a corpus of data relating to agricultural practices, agricultural and rural economy, animal husbandry, horticulture, and related matters in various counties in England and Wales, ?incomplete accounts of journeys in parts of Wales [by Edward Williams ('Iolo Morganwg')], and other miscellaneous items, all in the hand of the aforesaid Edward Williams ('Iolo Morganwg'). The general observations and instructions relating to agriculture and horticulture have usually been extracted from such sources as, according to the superscriptions to the notes, 'Will's Almanack, 1804', [Arthur] Young: [The Farmer's] Calendar, and [ ] Lawrence: The New Farmer's Calendar. The data relating to agricultural practices, etc., in the counties of England consists mainly of extracts from, or notes based upon, sections of the published surveys of agriculture, etc., in these counties which appeared largely under the auspices of the Board of Agriculture in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, viz. those of Jacob Malcolm and William James for rather William, James, and Jacob Malcolm] for the county of Surrey, George Turner for the county of Gloucester, John Boys for the county of Kent, John Monk for the county of Leicester, Nathaniel Kent for the county of Norfolk, Robert Lowe for the county of Nottingham, John Billingsley for the county of Somerset, and John Middleton for the county of Middlesex. The data concerning agriculture, etc., in Wales relates to the counties of South Wales. Some of this data has been extracted from, or is based upon, published agricultural surveys similar to those for the English counties also made in respect of the Welsh counties, e.g., those of Charles Hassall for the counties of Carmarthen and Pembroke, John Clark for the county of Brecknock, and Thomas Lloyd and the Reverend Mr. Turner for the county of Cardigan. It would appear, however, that most of the data relating to the counties of South Wales has not been extracted from such sources but it may possibly be linked with the work which Edward Williams ('Iolo Morganwg') himself undertook in 1796 in surveying the counties of Glamorgan and Carmarthen on behalf of the Board of Agriculture and with the work he undertook in assisting the Reverend Walter Davies ('Gwallter Mechain') in collecting material for his review of the economy of South Wales subsequently published under the title General View of the Agriculture and Domestic Economy of South Wales . . . Drawn up for the Consideration of the Board of Agriculture and Internal Improvement (London, 1815) (see the introduction for references to the assistance rendered by Edward Williams to the Reverend Walter Davies in respect of this project). Pp. 73-88 of the present manuscript contain an account of a journey undertaken [by Edward Williams] in the course of which he passed through or by the following neighbourhoods, places, buildings, etc., commenting on the features noted in brackets after the names - Penygored or Llechryd (tin works, salmon weir, coracle), Kilgeran, Cardigan, Blaen y Ffos Baptist meeting house, Fryni Vawr, Llanfernach ('a rich lead mine on the Estate of Captain Lloyd of Bronwydd worked by Lord Milford about 7 years ago . . .'), Bribwll ('a large old mansion'), Glandwr Meeting House ('very large, Independants'), Llangludwen Mill ('saw the place where they had been without any success digging for coal'), Llanboidy (adverse comments on the inhabitants of the area and also on the 'Pembrokeshire Peasantry'), Meidrym ('a decent village'), Job's Well near Caermarthen, and Gillimoor near Caerm[arthe]n Town ('100 acres of the rankest moor or bog drained by . . . Philips, Esqr.'). (continued)
Pp. 149-71 contain further notes relating to a journey [by Edward Williams] proceeding from Aber Cothi via Llanegwad, Hendre Wencyn Farm, Plas Newydd, Middleton Hall ('fine seat of Sir William Paxton . . . highly finished appartments and numerous flourishing plantations'), Grongar Hill, Dryslwyn Castle, Llanarthne, Golden Grove ('a fine old Mansion'), Llandeilo ('an ill planned and in general ill-built Town . . . some good houses . . . a large clumsy old Church', adverse comments on the inhabitants of the district, comments on a local custom of hanging jugs on nails 'all round the rooms of their houses', rather adverse comments on Dinevor Castle, Dryslwyn Castle, Carreg Cennen Castle, and the tomb of Sir Rhys ap Thomas in the church of Caermarthen), Newton Dinevor ('Fine seat of Lord Dinevor, the Park . . . one of the finest in the whole Kingdom', report on a conversation with Lord Dinevor), Derwen fawr, Aberglasney ('Mr. Dyer's, the Birth place of the Bard of Grongar Hill', praise of Grongar Hill and the views of the surrounding country to be seen from there), Crongaer Farm House, and Cross Inn (a brief note on and a sketch of 'Caermarthenshire Gates and Posts'), to Allt y Gog (a note here on 'Caermarthen Trade' with mention of 'Vaughan's anchor smithery', 'Vaughan's foundery', shipping, and ship building). Pp. 177-205 contain a further account of a journey [by Edward Williams] from Landilo ('Scattered Town with some good houses others wretched') via Dinefwr Park, Dinefor Castle, Llanfynydd village ('neat without & whitened, dirty & black within'), Glyn Cothi Mountains, Bryn Llywelyn Mountain, Llanybyddar, Llanwnen ('people most intelligent of any in Wales, mostly Presbiterians, very little English'), Cribin Clottas, Silien ('a scattered village of shabby aspect'), Langybi ('Church no Windows . . . a grammar school in the church . . . women do all the works of husbandry, threshing, grubbing, hedging . . . . have a tone or brogue that is far from pleasant . . . meeting houses numerous'), Llonio isa farm house, John's of hafod's estate, Llonio Mill, Llan Ddewi Brevi ('large double Isle Church & large village'), Tregaron New Bridge, Tregaron ('ragged Town that has a market, inferior to a Glamorgan village . . . Church large and long a clumsy high Tower, no windows in front'), House of Twm Siôn Catty ('½ mile out of town in ruins'), Llynn maes y llynn, Pont Rhyd fendigaid, Ross Fair ('4 or 5 houses only'), Yspytty ystwyth, the great bog between Tregaron & Ystrad Meuryg ('the property of Johns, Lisburne, &c., who are paid 5s per day for as much as one man can cut . . . this is called Corsgoch ar Deifi'), Ystrad Meuryg ('a dry healthy place, fine views . . .', note on E[dward] Rich[ar]ds and his school and library), Devils Bridge ('meet Messrs. Boddington & Este . . . walk over Havod grounds'), Ystrad Flur (brief note on the ruins of the abbey), dreary mountainous Country for many miles in Lanbadarn parish (' the inhabitants very stupid and extremely ignorant . . .'), foot of Pumlumon, Glasbwll village, Machynlleth ('a very good Town for Wales, many neat houses, good hall recently built. . . '), Pennegos, Dolgeiog, Llanwryn, Llancemais ('Decent Church & good village'), Mallwyd ('a very pleasant village . . . Church is a rude building with a Tower of oaken boards constructed in 1640', notes on Dr. John Davies 'the saviour of the Welsh language', his 'grammar of the Welsh language', his 'Welsh & Latin Dictionary', his revision of 'the Welsh Bible and prayer book' and his translation of 'some useful books of practical devotion into the Welsh language'), Mallwyd Bridge (sketch of bridge), Dinas ym Mowddwy ('a Market weekly but its number of houses do not exceed 30, here is a new meeting house built about 4 years ago'), Abercowarch village ('many new cottages . . . a spinning mill at work', a note here on South walians who were thronging 'to the Methodist Association at Bala' and on one young woman whom the writer had met who had come '100 miles on a pilgrimage to this circulating Mecca of Welsh fanaticism'), and Llanymowddwy, as far as Bwlch y Groes (further note on the Methodists looking forward to hearing [David] Jones of Llangan preaching at Bala). The accounts of the three journeys noted contain observations on topographical, agricultural, and geological features of the areas through which the traveller passed.
- GB 0210 BETGHES
- 1941-1994 /
Literary papers of Beti Hughes, 1941-1996, including manuscript and typescript copies and some proofs of her published and unpublished novels, -; manuscript and typescript copies of her children's novels, one of which is a translation and abridgement of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, -; notebooks including poetry, scripts, drafts and newspaper cuttings, x; together with various papers that include correspondence from Saunders Lewis, exam and competition certificates, scripts, drafts of novels, the Daniel Owen Memorial Competition adjudication, various ballads, and an order of service for unveiling a memorial stone for Beti Hughes, 1943-1994. A further file of papersrelating to Beti Hughes were received. These remain uncatalogued (May 2011).
- GB 0210 BODWYL
- 1893-1935 /
Papers of Bodfan, 1893-1935, comprising letters received by him, 1899-1935, mainly from friends discussing current literary trends and etymological and lexicographical matters; sermons, 1895-1901; miscellaneous poems, notes and printed matter, 1905-1933; and papers, mainly notebooks, relating to his brother Sir Edward Anwyl, 1893-1918.
Anwyl, J. Bodfan (John Bodfan), 1875-1949
The section consists of the administrative and financial records of the branch, 1978-1990.
Association of Artists and Designers in Wales. Carmarthen branch
Part of Labour Party Wales Archives
The file comprises mainly circulars, broadcasts and leaflets, 1985-1988, together with a small quantity of correspondence, relating to the work of CND Cymru. Some of the material concerns the defence policy of the Labour Party, the Greenham Common Women, and the Carmarthen Anti-Bunker Campaign.
CND Cymru (Organization)
- GB 0210 EVAHAN
- 1862-1910 /
Business records of Evan Vaughan, consisting of financial records, 1862-1910; records of work undertaken by staff, 1887-1890; and records of contributions paid by chapel members for seating, 1879-1882.
Vaughan, Evan, b. 1829 or 30
- GB 0210 FRAGREEN
- [13th century]-1923 (accumulated [c.1874]-1923) /
Deeds and personal papers acquired by Francis Green, 13th cent.-1923, including deeds and papers relating to Pembrokeshire and to the Green family, 1806-1880; records from the office of James Summers, solicitor, Haverfordwest, 1826-1867. There are also deeds and documents, 1704-1898, relating to a number of Pembrokeshire families; miscellaneous deeds, 1701-1867; and miscellaneous papers, 1720-1868.
Green, Francis, 1854-1942.
Part of Raymond Garlick manuscripts
Papers of Raymond Garlick, 1944-2005, comprising poetry, 1951-1999; letters, 1944-2003, from Elwyn Davies, Jonah Jones, Brenda Chamberlain, Cledwyn Hughes, A. G. Prys-Jones and others; and diaries and travel journals, 1950, 1956-1957, 1987-1998, 2000-2001. The diaries contain frequent references to his family, including his children Iestyn and Angharad, and to friends such as John Cowper Powys, Jon Dressel, R. S. Thomas and Roland Mathias.
- NLW ex 2138
Part of Mrs Adamson (Nantmel) scrapbooks
The file, -, contains articles on 'Facts about hymns' (pp. 2-4), 'Vanishing London' (pp. 14-15), 'Christmas services and rations in the district. Carmarthen. Service at St Peter's' (pp. 35-36), 'Death of Cardinal Newman' (pp. 52-53, 79, 81-83) and 'Cardinal Newman's letters' (pp. 65-67).
- GB 0210 NANMAS
- 1553-1877 /
Deeds and documents, 1553-1877, relating to properties in the parishes of Llandysilio, Llanfyrnach, Llanbedr Felffre, Lamphey and Mathri, co. Pembroke; Llanfihangel-ar-arth, Carmarthen town and borough, Llan-gain, Abergwili, Llanfihangel Rhos-y-corn, Newchurch, Llanfihangel Abercywyn, Llanybydder, Llanwinio, Tre-lech a'r Betws, Llanboidy, Aber-nant, Llangynnwr, Meidrim, St. Clears, Llandeilo Fawr, Llandybie and St. Ishmael, co. Carmarthen; Bangor [Teifi], Cellan and Caron, co. Cardigan. They include deeds for the Glandewely estate in Llanfihangel-ar-arth, 1553-1769, and the Golden Lion in Lammas Street, Carmarthen, 1771-1877.
- NLW MS 7644D
-  x 
Part of Bradney Manuscripts
Forty-seven volumes of 'notae' or abstracts and extracts, principally of Monmouthshire interest, compiled from original records in both public and private possession. With the exception of letters and some insets they are all in the autograph of Bradney. Among the many private collections of title-deeds and documents from which the majority of these notes have been taken, in addition to those of Bradney himself, are those in the possession or custody of Albert Addams-Williams, Llangibby Castle; Garnet Edwin Bevan, Grosmont; S. C. Bosanquet, Dingestow Court; Alfred Bowen, Usk; Burleigh Cecil, Oaklands Park, Weybridge (Surrey); Mrs Morgan Clifford, Llantilio Crossenny; William Cooke, Hereford; the Reverend Henry Charles Davies, St Hilary, Cowbridge (Glamorgan); J. H. Davies, Cwrtmawr (Cardiganshire); Arthur Davies-Berrington, Pantygoitre, Llanfair Kilgeddin; the Reverend Edward Napleton Dew, Welsh Newton and Llanrothall (Herefordshire); Mrs Earnshaw, Court St Lawrence, Llangoven; Miss Charlotte Mary Evans, Nantyderi, Goytrey; Richard Feetham, Penrhos; G. C. Francis, solicitor, Chepstow; Frederick Gardner, solicitor, Newport; Illtyd Gardner, solicitor, Abergavenny; Mrs Gazzard, The Goitre, Grosmont; Isaac George, Llanfihangel-iuxta-Usk; Walter Gustard, Newport; G. E. Halliday, Cardiff; surveyor to the archdeaconry of Llandaff; Dom. J. Cuthbert Hedley, Roman Catholic bishop of Newport; Reginald Herbert, Clytha; John Harvey Hooper, Tutnall, near Worcester; Sir Henry Mather Jackson, Bart, Llantilio Crossenny; Mrs Newton Jackson, Blackbrook, Skenfrith; Gwilym Cristor James, Merthyr (Glamorgan); the Reverend Lemuel James, Ystradmynach (Glamorgan); Alfred Jones, Osbaston; Edmund Jones, Fforest Legionis, Pont-neath-Vaughan (Glamorgan); William Lewis, Tyhir, Pontypridd (Glamorgan); Sir John Lloyd, Dinas (Brecknockshire); --- Nesbitt, solicitor, Abergavenny; Illtyd Nicholl, The Ham, Llantwit Major (Glamorgan); the Reverend Andrew Pope, Upper Bishop, Ross (Herefordshire); Simon B. Preece, Llangattock Lingoed; James Gilbert Price, Abergavenny; the Misses Prothero, Moynes Court, Mathern; John Allan Rolls, 1st baron Llangattock, The Hendre, Llangattock Vibon Avel; Glen Taylor, Neath (Glamorgan); John Tyler, Maesderwen, Pontypool; Mrs Vinter, Moor, Clifford (Herefordshire); D. T. Newton Wade, solicitor, Newport; J. Maitland Watkins, solicitor, Usk; Thomas Watkins, solicitor, Pontypool; T. P. Holmes Watkins, solicitor, Pontypool; Messrs Watts, Watts and Co., colliery proprietors, Cardiff (Glamorgan); William Welch, Monmouth; Mrs Florence White-Spunner, Llanvapley Court; William Henry Smith Whitney, Grosmont; Messrs Williams and Tweedy, solicitors, Monmouth; T. B. R. Wilson, registrar of the diocese of Monmouth; and others. Additional sources include the papers of Thomas Wakeman, The Graig, Llantilio Crossenny, largely in the custody of the Society of Antiquaries, and transcripts of public and other records by William Dean, Ealing, London; Francis Green, St Davids; John Hobson Matthews, Cardiff; and others. This volume contains deeds and documents relating to properties in Abergavenny, Bettws, Cwmcarvan, Dingestow, Grosmont, Llanarth, Llanbadoc, Llandogo, Llanellen, Llanfoist, Llangattock Vibon Avel, Llangoven, Llanishen, Llansantffraed, Llantilio Crossenny, Llantilio Pertholey, Llanvapley, Llanwenarth, Michel Troy, Nash, Newchurch, Penallt, Penrhos, Pen-y-clawdd, Tregaer and Usk, and in Llanedern (Glamorgan), Carmarthen (Carmarthenshire), Much Marcle (Herefordshire) and Lydney, Rockhampton, Tiddenham and Woolaston (Gloucestershire), 1432-1784; and papers of the family of Powell of Llantilio Crossenny, including letters, 1627-1728, and an assessment of a tax in the township of Llantilio Crossenny towards the King's garrisons, 1644/5.
- GB 0210 JOHAMS
- 1324-1926 (accumulated [1840s]-1926) /
Personal papers of Sir John Williams comprising notes, essays, lectures and transcripts by him, [19th century]-[early 20th century]; certificates and testimonials, 1858-1915; cards and letters from the children of King George V and invitation cards to royal functions, 1889-1916; documents relating to his various honours, 1894-1911; photograph and stamp albums, 1849-[early 20th century]; other photographs, [1840s]-1905; press cuttings, [c. 1870]-1926; letters collected by Sir John, 1633-1912; letters to him, 1879-1922, the correspondents including members of the Royal Family; deeds and other documents relating to properties in Llangadog, to Plas Llanstephan and to Harley Street, London, 1790-1918; bibliographical material, [19th century]-[20th century]; medical notebooks and other papers, 1855-1900; diaries of Sir John and Lady Williams, 1872-1925; estate and financial records, 1890-; papers relating to public affairs, 1870-1911; miscellaneous items collected by Sir John, 1795-[c. 1919]; personal possessions, including University and commemorative medals, insignia, medical equipment, and ceremonial trumpets, 1861-1913; and deeds collected by Sir John Williams, 1546-1869, comprising deeds of the Vaughan family of Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, the Penry family of Swansea, Glamorgan, and the Dalton family of Pembrey, Carmarthenshire, 1545-1677, relating to properties in Llangennech and Pembrey, Carmarthenshire; deeds of John Jones, Ystrad, Carmarthenshire, relating to Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire, 1632-1793, and the borough of Carmarthen, 1611-1869; Wynn of Gwydir deeds, 1352-1797, relating mostly to Caernarfonshire, Merionethshire and Denbighshire; miscellaneous Welsh deeds, relating mainly to properties in Carmarthenshire and Cardiganshire, 1451-[c. 1840]; and miscellaneous deeds relating to England (mainly Cornwall and Staffordshire), Ireland, and Scotland, 1586-1896.
- GB 0210 SPUELL
- 1817-1984 /
Personal and family papers, including letters to William Spurrell on phonetics and spelling reform, 1848-1885, and Spurrell family history, 1873-1885; letters from Sir James and Lady Hills-Johnes of Dolaucothi, 1885-1917; printed material regarding Welsh mutations and spelling reform, 1876-1889; notes on the Rebecca riots and Carmarthen history, 1872, with additions by H. W. Spurrell, [20th century]; personal papers of, and letters from, Walter Spurrell, 1858-1900; papers relating to Dr Charles Spurrell, including a volume of family pedigrees; letters concerning possible evidence for Welsh Indians, 1891-1892; a diary of Edith Spurrell, 1865; papers relating to Elizabeth Thomas's family, 1817-1839; travel journals and accounts of members of Florence Mary Turner's family, 1821-1902; and miscellaneous papers of H. W. Spurrell, [c.1900]-1984.
Spurrell family, (of Carmarthen)
- NLW MS 12533E.
Part of Morgan Richardson Manuscripts,
A register of leases granted by individual dignitaries of the cathedral church of St. David's of prebends, lands, etc., which were in their possession by virtue of their cathedral preferments. The volume commences with a record of the acts expedited during the visitation of the cathedral church by Bishop Nicolas [Claggett], bishop of the diocese, in 1736-1737, and a copy of the injunction issued by the bishop on that occasion, ordering the registration of existing leases already granted by individual members of the cathedral church and of all such future grants. Consequent upon this injunction, leases of the following were transcribed and registered between 1737 and 1761 (the dates in brackets are those of the actual grant) - the prebend of Meydrim with its appurtenances in Mydrim, co. Carmarthen (1731), the lordship and manor of Kinoch [sic] Craig, parish of Marthry [sic], and the rectory or prebend of Marthry, co. Pembroke (1733), the prebend of Llawhadden and a capital messuage called St. Kenocks, co. Pembroke (1717), a messuage and lands called Tyrsais in the town and fields of Carvarchell, parish of St. Davids, and the profits and chief rents of the manor or lordship of Carvarchell, co. Pembroke (1733), the rectory of Llandewy Aberarth, co. Cardigan (1737), the prebend of Llangan, cos. Pembroke and Carmarthen (1731/2), the manor or lordship of Treffgarne alias Trawgarne, parish of St. Dogwells, and the manor or lordship of Llandrydian, parish of St. Davids, co. Pembroke (1735), the prebend or rectory of Spittle, co. Pembroke (1733/4) the prebendal church of Lampeter Pont Stephen, co. Cardigan (1736), the prebendal churches and rectories of Llandissillio and Gogo alias Llandissillio and Llangrannogg, co. Cardigan (1724, 1750 and 1761), messuages and lands in or near Carmarthen 1732 and 1750), the rectory of Landevriog, co. Cardigan (1734/5), the rectory of Llanthew, co. Brecknock (1738), the rectory of St. Davids in Llanvase, co. Brecknock (1740 and 1761), a messuage called Torbant, parish of Llanrian, co. Pembroke (1747 and 1755), and the parsonage of Llowes, co. Radnor, with the chapels of Llanthewy Vach and Penpont (1753).