GB 0210 BUTE
Bute Estate Records,
- 1319-1936 (accumulated 1547-1936) / (Creation)
Lefel y disgrifiad
Maint a chyfrwng
6.046 cubic metres (500 boxes, 143 vols, 4 outsize rolls)
Deposited by the Fifth Marquis of Bute in July 1950.
Ardal cynnwys a strwythur
Natur a chynnwys
Records mainly of the Glamorgan estate of the marquesses of Bute and of their predecessors, the earls of Pembroke. These include letters, 1588-1855, including letters of the Herbert family of Cogan Pill, 1588-1719, but primarily the personal and estate correspondence of John, second marquis of Bute, 1804-1855, (including letters relating to Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire (Kirtling: Lady Bute's property) and County Durham estates); deeds, -1937; surveys, 1570-1842; rentals of the Glamorgan estate, 1728-1893, and the Cardiff estate, 1842-1895, estate and manorial accounts, 1573-1873; manorial records and deeds of over seventy manors, mainly in Glamorgan, [?1373]-1847; family settlements, [early 17 cent.]-1902; family probate records, 1612-1900; and legal and case papers, 1642-1921; correspondence of Alice, Lady Windsor, 1757-1776; a substantial number of copies of Acts of Parliament, relating mainly to roads, canals, docks and harbours, railways, public works and utilities, 1771-1928; and miscellaneous records. -- The archive illustrates the history of Glamorgan; the corporate life of the boroughs of Cardiff, Cowbridge and Llantrisant; the urbanization of the South Wales valleys, especially Merthyr Tydfil and Aberdare; the Glamorgan Commission of the Peace; the county militia and yeomanry, 1815-1837; the development of the coal and other industries (it includes papers relating to minerals and ironworks 16th-early 20th cent., accounts of coal shipped from Neath, etc. 1626-1682, quarry and lime kiln accounts 19th cent. Cardiff railway, dock and harbour papers and plans, 19th-20th cent.); labour and political unrest, including Chartism, Scotch Cattle, Rebecca riots; early trade unions; and the history of Cardiff castle, 16th-19th cent., including inventories 1581, 1585, estimate of repairs 1590 and plans of grounds.
Gwerthuso, dinistrio ac amserlennu
Action: All records deposited at NLW have been retained..
Accruals are not expected.
System o drefniant
The archive was preliminary arranged in 1955, based on the estate solicitor's lists of the contents. Part of the archive, including most of the manorial records, was later calendared on index cards and added to the preliminary schedule of the 1955 arrangement. An arrangement of the whole archive was completed in 1998, replacing the call numbers in the 1955 schedule. The archive is now arranged into the following groups: estate administration, manorial records, deeds, legal papers, Acts of Parliament, official records, schedules, books, artefacts and miscellaneous.
Ardal amodau mynediad a defnydd
Amodau rheoli mynediad
Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Amodau rheoli atgynhyrchu
Usual copyright laws apply.
Iaith y deunydd
Sgript o ddeunydd
Nodiadau iaith a sgript
Cyflwr ac anghenion technegol
Further details relating to manorial records within the archive can be accessed online from The National Archives Manorial Documents Register at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/mdr/
Ardal deunyddiau perthynol
Bodolaeth a lleoliad y gwreiddiol
Bodolaeth a lleoliad copïau
Unedau o ddisgrifiad cysylltiedig
Charles, B. G., 'Deposited Collections 24. The Marquess of Bute collection', National Library of Wales Journal, vol. vii (1951-52), pp. 246-58; Davies, John, Cardiff and the Marquesses of Bute (Cardiff, 1981).
Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Virtua system control number
GEAC system control number
Pwyntiau mynediad pwnc
- Urbanization -- Wales -- Aberdare
- Industrial revolution -- Wales -- Glamorgan
- Urbanization -- Wales -- Merthr Tydfil
- Urbanization -- Wales, South
- Labor unions -- Wales, South
- Coal mines and mining -- Wales -- Glamorgan
- Iron mines and mining -- Wales -- Glamorgan
- Administration of estates -- Wales -- Glamorgan
- Chartism -- Wales, South
- Rebecca Riots, 1839-1844
- Manors -- Wales -- Glamorgan
- Manorial courts -- Wales -- Glamorgan
- Labor disputes -- Wales, South
- Labor disputes -- Wales -- Glamorgan
- Labor disputes -- Wales -- Breconshire.
- Harbors -- Wales -- Cardiff
- Railroads -- Wales -- Cardiff
Pwyntiau mynediad lleoedd
Pwyntiau mynediad Enw
- Crichton-Stuart family, Marquesses of Bute (Creator)
- Cowbridge (Wales : borough) -- Records and correspondence. (Pwnc)
- Cardiff Castle (Cardiff, Wales) -- Records and correspondence (Pwnc)
- Cardiff (Wales : borough) -- Records and correspondence (Pwnc)
- Llantrisant (Wales : borough) -- Records and correspondence. (Pwnc)
- Llantrisant (Wales : borough) (Pwnc)
- Cardiff Castle (Cardiff, Wales) (Pwnc)
- Cardiff (Wales). Borough Council (Pwnc)
- Cowbridge (Wales : borough) (Pwnc)
- Cogan Pill Estate (Wales) (Pwnc)
- Kirtling Estate (England) (Pwnc)
- Bute Estate (Great Britain) (Pwnc)
- Bute, John Crichton-Stuart, Marquess of, 1793-1848 (Pwnc)
- Windsor, Alice, 1705-1776 (Pwnc)
- Crichton-Stuart family, Marquesses of Bute -- Archives. (Pwnc)
- Stuart family, of Mount Stuart (Pwnc)
- Windsor family, Barons Mountjoy (Pwnc)
- Herbert family, of Cogan Pill (Pwnc)
- Herbert family, Earls of Pembroke (Pwnc)
Pwyntiau mynediad Genre
Ardal rheolaeth disgrifiad
Rheolau a/neu confensiynau a ddefnyddiwyd
This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH
Lefel manylder disgrifiad
Dyddiadau creadigaeth adolygiad dilead
Nodyn yr archifydd
Complied by Mair James.
Nodyn yr archifydd
The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Principal family and estate collections L-W (London, 1999); Davies, John, Cardiff and the Marquesses of Bute (Cardiff, 1981), NLW , Schedule of Bute Estate Records;