Fonds GB 0210 BRIRRY - Briton Ferry Estate Records,

Identity area

Reference code



Briton Ferry Estate Records,


  • 1627-1879 / (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

0.267 cubic metres (9 boxes and 1 roll)

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Briton Ferry estate formed part of the lands of the Margam Abbey and passed successively to the Mansel, Villiers, and Vernon families (Earls of Jersey). The estate lay in the parishes of Aberavon, Baglan, Briton Ferry, Cadoxton-juxta-Neath, Glyncorrwg, Llangyfelach, Llansamlet, Llantwit-juxta-Neath, Margam, Michaelston-super-Avon, Neath, St John-juxta-Swansea, Swansea, Swansea St Mary, and Swansea St Thomas.

The Briton Ferry estate was owned by the Price family of Briton Ferry until Jane Price, daughter and heiress of William Price of Briton Ferry (will dated 1627), married Arthur, third son of Thomas Mansel of Margam (buried 1611). Arthur Mansel was succeeded by his son, Bussy Mansel, who inherited the Briton Ferry estate. Bussy Mansel was succeeded by his son, Thomas (d. 1684), who was succeeded by his son, another Thomas. He died childless and bequeathed his estate to his godson Bussy, son of Thomas, fourth lord Mansel of Margam. The estate remained in the hands of the Mansell family until the marriage of Louisa Barbara Mansell, sole daughter and heir of Bussy, lord Mansell, by his second wife, Barbara, daughter of William Villiers, 2nd earl of Jersey, with George Venables Vernon, Lord Vernon, in 1757. There was no male issue and after the death of Lady Louisa Barbara Vernon the estate remained in the hands of her husband for life, subject to the terms of her will by which she devised her Britton Ferry estate to her godson George, earl of Jersey.

In 1951 portions of the estate were sold to the Principality Property Co., Estateways Builders, John Oliver Watkins, the City & Provincial Housing Association and Gwalia Land & Property Developments Ltd.

Archival history

Some, at least, of these records were removed from the the Briton Ferry estate archive and were retained in the custody of Messrs Freshfield, the estate's London solicitors.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Deposited by George Francis Child-Villiers, Earl of Jersey, August 1951, per Messrs Freshfield, London.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Title deeds relating to the Briton Ferry estate, 1627-1879, mainly in the parishes of Aberavon, Baglan, Briton Ferry, Llantwit-iuxta-Neath, Llansamlet, Michaelstone, Glamorganshire, together with probate records, marriage settlements, etc.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Action: All records deposited at NLW have been retained..


Accruals are not expected.

System of arrangement

Arranged chronologically.

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.

Conditions governing reproduction

Usual copyright laws apply.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes


Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Hard copies of the catalogue are available at NLW and HMC (now part of TNA).

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

The main Briton Ferry estate archive, including deeds, estate administration records, and records of local commercial ventures, 1679-1954, are West Glamorgan Archive Service, D/D BF (Briton Ferry Estate), and further deeds, 1738-1856, are West Glamorgan Archive Service D/Gn (Gnoll Estate).

Related descriptions

Notes area


Title supplied from contents of fonds.

Alternative identifier(s)

Virtua system control number


GEAC system control number


Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH.


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

May 2001.


  • English



Archivist's note

Compiled by Stephen Benham.

Archivist's note

The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Clark, G. T., Limbus patrum Morganiae et Glamorganiae (London, 1886), Complete Peerage, (London, 8 vols, 1887-98), vol. viii;

Accession area