- [1766x1799]. (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
35 ff., ff. 21 verso, 22 recto, 23 recto, 24 blank.
Name of creator
The inscriptions 'Cadwaleder Pugh His Book' and 'Evan Evans His Hand 1768' appear on f. 9 verso, and 'Cadwaladr Pugh his hand 17[ ]' on f. 20 verso.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A composite volume containing transcripts of miscellaneous Welsh poems, some incomplete, in free and strict metre. The original, brown, paper cover is inscribed 'Amryw Gerddi, Cywyddau, Awdlau, &c., o waith y Beirdd. Date 1766', and the contents include free-metre verse ('cerddi', etc.) by 'Brys Bras Brwnt', Robert Williams, Robert Roberts, Dafydd y prydydd Hir (o Lan fair Talhauarn), Maurice ab Robert, Evan Ellis, John Cadwaladr, Hugh Jones (Llangwm), Rouland Jones (? of Pandy, Llanuwchllyn), Rees Jones, and Thomas Edwards; 'cywyddau' by Rice Jones, Edwart Rouland, Griffith Philip, Thomas Prys, Lewis Morice, Richard Phylip, Hugh Lloyd Cynfel, 'Y Cardwr Du', Dafydd ab Gwilim, Siôn Tyddur, Ellis Rowland, John Dafis, Morys Dwyferch (sic), and Richard Edwards; and 'englynion' by Hugh Jones (o Langwm).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The description is also available in the Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, Volume IV (Aberystwyth, 1971).
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Formerly known as Gwern-y-Pant 3.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 12867D.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Jones, David, 1732-1782? (Subject)
- Maurice ap Robert (Subject)
- Roberts, Robert, poet (Subject)
- Ellis, Evan, poet (Subject)
- Jones, Hugh, 1700?-1782. (Subject)
- Cadwaladr, Sion, fl. 1760 (Subject)
- Jones, Rowland, Pandy, Llanuwchllyn (Subject)
- Jones, Rhys, 1713-1801 (Subject)
- Edwards, Thomas, 1739-1810 (Subject)
- Rowland, Edward. (Subject)
- Phylip, Gruffydd, d. 1666 (Subject)
- Prys, Thomas, 1564?-1634 (Subject)
- Morris, Lewis, 1701-1765 (Subject)
- Phylip, Rhisiart, d. 1641 (Subject)
- Llwyd, Huw, 1568?-1630? (Subject)
- Dafydd ap Gwilym, active 14th century (Subject)
- Tudur, Siôn (Subject)
- Morus ap Dafydd ab Ifan ab Einion, active 1523-1590 (Subject)
- Edwards, Richard, poet and schoolteacher (Subject)
- Davies, John, d. 1694 (Subject)
- Rowland, Ellis, ca. 1650-ca. 1730 (Subject)
- Williams, Robert, 1766-1850 (Subject)