University of Wales, Aberystwyth. Dept. of Music.

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

University of Wales, Aberystwyth. Dept. of Music.

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Department of Music f the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth (later University of Wales Aberystwyth), established in the late 19th century, was one of the first university music departments set up in Britain. Members of the department ran the UCW Aberystwyth Musical Club, 1920-1927, and the Aberystwyth Music Festival, 1925-1927. Charles Clements (1898-1983) was lecturer and then senior lecturer between 1926 and 1963. Griff Williams (d. 1958), of Ponthenri, Carmarthenshire, and his wife, were music teachers and accompanists. They often performed or adjudicated at concerts, eisteddfodau, and singing festivals. In the late 1980s, the University decided to cease offering degrees in music, and closed the Department, although the University Music Centre continues to hold concerts and events.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC