GB 0210 SWEALL
Sweeney Hall Estate Records,
- 1563-1876 / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.286 cubic metres (10 boxes, 10 volumes)
Name of creator
The Sweeney Hall estate is located in Oswestry, Shropshire.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Deposited by B. E. Parker Leighton of Sweeney Hall in October 1932. Further deposits were made in 1934 and 1949.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Estate and family records of Baker and Browne of Sweeney Hall, Oswestry, Leighton of Loton Park, Shropshire, Parker of Whitehouse, Worcestershire, and Charlton of Ludford, Herefordshire, including title deeds, 1563-1854, a volume of important papers relating to Major-General Thomas Mytton (1608-56), who served the Parliamentary cause in north Wales during the civil war; papers of Edward Lloyd of Llanforda, [c. 1660]-1681; account books of the estates of the Charlton family of Park, Shropshire, 18 cent., letter-books of Sir Henry Watkin Williams-Wynn (1783-1856), British Ambassador to Denmark, 1831-1851, and a bundle of papers and notebooks relating to the estate of Miss Fanny Williams-Wynn who died in 1857.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Action: All records deposited at NLW have been retained..
Accruals are not expected.
System of arrangement
The 1932 deposit has been arranged into two groups: manuscript volumes and deeds and documents.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright laws apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Hard copies of the catalogue of the 1932 group are available at NLW and HMC. The remainder remains uncatalogued.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Owens, B. G., 'Deposited collections, 22. Sweeney Hall manuscripts and documents', National Library of Wales Journal, vol. VI (1950-51), pp. 299-300.
Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Virtua system control number
GEAC system control number
Place access points
Name access points
- Browne family, of Sweeney Hall (Creator)
- Loton Park (England) (Subject)
- Whitehouse Estate (England) (Subject)
- Ludford Estate (England) (Subject)
- Sweeney Hall Estate (England) (Subject)
- Williams-Wynn, Henry Watkin, Sir, 1783-1856 -- Correspondence. (Subject)
- Baker family, of Sweeney Hall -- Archives (Subject)
- Mytton, Thomas, 1608-1656 (Subject)
- Edward Lloyd, of Llanforda (Subject)
- Williams-Wynn, Henry Watkin, Sir, 1783-1856 (Subject)
- Williams-Wynn, Frances, 1773-1857 (Subject)
- Browne family, of Sweeney Hall -- Archives (Subject)
- Baker family, of Sweeney Hall (Subject)
- Parker family, of Whitehouse (Subject)
- Leighton family, of Loton Park (Subject)
- Charlton family, of Ludford (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Compiled by Stephen Benham.
The following source was used in the compilation of this record: Owens, B. G., 'Deposited collections, 22. Sweeney Hall manuscripts and documents', National Library of Wales Journal, vol. VI (1950-51);