Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Puleston family came originally from the vill or manor of Pilston or Puleston, near Newport, Shropshire, where they settled in the reign of Henry III. Sir Roger de Puleston (d. 1294) is the first of the family to establish himself at Emral in Maelor Saesneg now in Flintshire.
The Pulestons inherited the New Hall estate near Chirk following the marriage in 1684 of Roger Puleston and Catherine Edwards, only surviving daughter and heiress of Captain William Edwards of New Hall. Roger's son, Thomas (1694-1735) inherited through his first wife, Mary Thellwall, the Nant Clwyd estate, and through his second wife, Ann Oldfield, a large share of Bowyers' estate. Thomas sold New Hall, along with lands in Chirk and Llangollen to Robert Myddelton of Chirk Castle in June 1721 for £11,195.
The male line of the Emral branch of Pulestons ended in 1735 with the death of Thomas Puleston (1694-1735), who left the estate by will to John Puleston of Pickhill, Flintshire, a descendant of a younger son of Roger Puleston, living in the reign Henry VI. John's son died without male heir, and Emral came to his daughter's husband, Richard Parry Price of Bryn-y-pys (1765-1840), who adopted the surname Puleston and was created a baronet in 1813. The baronetcy became extinct on the death of Sir Theophilus Puleston in 1890, whilst Emral Hall was demolished in 1936.