NLW MS 12298A.
Notebook of William Roberts, Bodwenni,
- [17 cent., last ¼ ] / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A late seventeenth century notebook of William Roberts, Bodwenni, Llandderfel, co. Merioneth, containing transcripts of Latin texts (Greek and Roman biographies, 'Dictamen de bonis moribus', etc.), with English translations, written in 1681; notes of sermons by Mr. Jenkin Thomas (once at Llanvilling), Mr. H. Owens [of Bronyclydwr, Llanegryn], and Mr. Morg[an] Tho[mas] (once at Hendre), 1695-1696; miscellaneous memoranda (payment for wheat at Corwen fair, payment of Bodwenni tithe, the tenancies of tenements in Llandderfel, etc.), 1694/5-1696; 'Phrases ex Erasmo'; extracts from Ovid's Metamorphosis; a Greek-Latin vocabulary; etc.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
English, Welsh, Latin, Greek.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The description is also available in the Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, Volume IV (Aberystwyth, 1971).
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 12298A.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
- Fairs -- Wales -- Corwen
- Agricultural administration -- Wales -- Llandderfel
- Agriculture -- Wales -- Llandderfel -- Accounting
- Tithes -- Wales -- Llandderfel
- Landlord and tenant -- Wales -- Llandderfel
- Classical literature -- Translations into English.
- Greek language -- Glossaries, vocabularies, etc. -- Latin
- Latin language -- Glossaries, vocabularies, etc. -- Greek
Place access points
Name access points
- Roberts, William, Bodwenni, Llandderfel (Creator)
- Bodwenni Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Bodwenni Estate (Wales) -- Accounting (Subject)
- Bodwenni Estate (Wales) -- Records and correspondence (Subject)
- Thomas, Jenkin, Rev. (Subject)
- Owens, H., Rev. (Subject)
- Thomas, Morgan, Rev. (Subject)
- Erasmus, Desiderius, d. 1536. (Subject)
- Ovid, 43 B.C.-17 or 18. (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales
Rules and/or conventions used
Description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.; AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Description compiled by Bethan Ifans for the retrospective conversion project of NLW MSS. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, Volume IV (Aberystwyth, 1971);