NLW MS 23179B
- 1778-1809 / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
xxv, 85 ff. (several leaves torn out) ; 190 x 155 mm. Calf, blind-tooled. 'Debt and Credt Acct and Memorandum Book. Begun 17th June 1779' on front cover.
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Mr John Etor; Newton Ferrers; Purchase; 1993
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A volume in the hand of William Williams (1738-1817, DWB), Llandygái, co. Caernarfon, author, antiquary, and official of the Cae-braich-y-cafn slate quarry, containing accounts and memoranda, 1778-91 (ff. 1 verso-34), including particulars of payments to servants and labourers, 1778-89, churchwarden's accounts, 1778-80, and accounts, 1779-81, relating to the 'Bangor Building'. Also included are draft letters, 1807-9, mostly addressed to the Reverend Dr Samuel Bulkeley (d. 1809), Prebendary of Bristol, and relating mainly to the building of a schoolhouse at Coedana, co. Anglesey (inverted text ff. 35 verso-76 verso), and notes in Welsh and English (inverted text ff. 77-82 verso).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 23179B
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
- Quarries and quarrying -- Wales -- Bethesda -- Records and correspondence
- Quarries and quarrying -- Wales -- Bethesda -- Accounting
- Slate industry -- Wales -- Bethesda -- Records and correspondence
- Slate industry -- Wales -- Bethesda -- Accounting
- Quarries and quarrying -- Wales -- Bethesda -- Employees -- Salaries, etc.
- Slate industry -- Wales -- Bethesda -- Employees -- Salaries, etc.
- Domestics -- Wales -- Bethesda -- Salaries, etc.
- Unskilled labor -- Wales -- Bethesda -- Salaries, etc.
- Schools -- Wales -- Anglesey.
- Cae Braich y Cafn (Quarry : Wales) -- Records and correspondence
- Cae Braich y Cafn (Quarry : Wales) -- Accounting
Place access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales
Rules and/or conventions used
Description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.; AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Description compiled by Bethan Ifans for the retrospective conversion project of NLW MSS. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, Volume IX (Aberystwyth, 2003);