GB 0210 MABLSH
Mabel Pakenham-Walsh Papers,
- 1937-1998 / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.027 cubic metres (3 boxes)
Name of creator
Mabel Pakenham-Walsh is a painter and sculptor based in mid-Wales. She attended St Hildas School, Hickleton Hall for a short period. From 1960-1961 she was employed at Pinewood and Shepperton Film Studios. Since then she has concentrated on exhibiting and selling her artistic works. One of her oil-paintings is called "The Evening Student". She has corresponded widely with other artists, writers, organisations and individuals connected with the arts and crafts.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Donated by Mabel Pakenham-Walsh, 1993, 1994 and 1998.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Papers relating to Mabel Pakenham-Walsh, 1937-1998, including family correspondence, 1937-1987; general correspondence, [c. 1962]-1998, from other artists and friends including Martin Leman, Maeve Peake, Lord Snowdon, Jean Coggan, wife of Donald Coggan, Archbishop of Canterbury, Tom Stoppard, the author Andrew Roberts and Malcolm Yorke; papers relating to exhibitions and sales, 1959-1992; correspondence with the Crafts Advisory Committee, 1972-1979, Design Council, 1973-1976, Crafts Council, 1973-1990, and Contemporary Applied Arts, 1974-1991; papers concerning her employment at Pinewood and Shepperton Film Studios, 1960-1961, and other miscellaneous items; and a photograph of a speech day at St Hildas School, Hickleton Hall, with Lord and Lady Halifax as guests, 1949.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Action: All records have been retained.
Accruals are possible.
System of arrangement
Arranged into the following: family correspondence; letters, cards and general correspondence; correspondence with institutions; miscellaneous papers; and additional correspondence and papers.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright regulations apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
A hard copy of the catalogue is available in Minor Lists and Summaries 1993, p. 82, and 1999, p. 80, at the National Library of Wales. The catalogue can be accessed online.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Walsh, Mabel Pakenham- (Creator)
- Contemporary Applied Arts (Gallery) -- Records and correspondence (Subject)
- Crafts Advisory Committee -- Records and correspondence (Subject)
- Crafts Council (Great Britain) -- Records and correspondence (Subject)
- Design Council -- Records and correspondence (Subject)
- Contemporary Applied Arts (Gallery) (Subject)
- Crafts Advisory Committee. (Subject)
- Design Council. (Subject)
- Crafts Council (Great Britain) (Subject)
- Snowdon, Antony Armstrong-Jones, Earl of, 1930- -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Leman, Martin, 1934- -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Coggan, Jean, 1908- -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Roberts, Andrew, 1963- -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Pakenham-Walsh, Mabel -- Archives (Subject)
- Peake, Maeve -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Stoppard, Tom -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Yorke, Malcolm -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Leman, Martin, 1934- (Subject)
- Peake, Maeve. (Subject)
- Snowdon, Antony Armstrong-Jones, Earl of, 1930- (Subject)
- Coggan, Jean, 1908- (Subject)
- Roberts, Andrew, 1963- (Subject)
- Stoppard, Tom. (Subject)
- Halifax, Charles Ingram Courtenay Wood, Earl of Halifax, 1912-1980 (Subject)
- Yorke, Malcolm. (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales
Rules and/or conventions used
Description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.;AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: NLW, Minor Lists and Summaries 1993; 1999.