- 1217-1930 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Williams family acquired the Llangibby Castle estate (anciently called Tregrug) following the purchase of the estate by Roger Williams (d. 1585) of Usk in 1544-1545. He was succeeded by his son, Rowland Williams, followed by his son Charles Williams, who became MP for Monmouthshire in 1621. He was succeeded by his son Sir Trevor Williams who played a prominent role in the civil war in Monmouthshire, siding first with the King, then with the Parliamentarians before rejoining the royalists in 1648.
The estate remained in the hands of the Williams family until the death of Sir John Williams without male issue in 1739. His daughter Ellen (1724-1781/2), who inherited the estate, married William Addams of Monmouth who assumed the additional surname of Williams.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Virtua system control number
GEAC system control number
Subject access points
- Administration of estates -- Wales -- Monmouthshire.
- Manors -- Wales -- Monmouthshire.
- Manors -- Wales -- Glamorgan.
- Manorial courts -- Wales -- Monmouthshire.
- Manorial courts -- Wales -- Glamorgan.
- Great Britain -- History -- Civil War, 1642-1649.
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1485-1603.
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1603-1714.
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 18th century.
- Welsh poetry -- Early modern, 1550-1700
Place access points
Name access points
- Addams-Williams family, of Llangibby Castle. (Creator)
- Llangibby Castle (Wales) -- Archives. (Subject)
- Great Britain. Parliament. House of Lords. (Subject)
- Llangibby Castle Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Williams, Roger, d. 1583. (Subject)
- Elsynge, Henry, 1598-1654. (Subject)
- Wolff, Joseph, 1795-1862. (Subject)
- Wiliems, Thomas, 1545 or 1546-1622? (Subject)
- Jones, Richard Robert, 1780-1843. (Subject)
- Henry, Philip, 1631-1696. (Subject)
- Jones, Edmund, 1702-1793. (Subject)
- Pembroke, Henry Herbert, Earl of, -1601 (Subject)
- Morgan, Sylvanus, 1620-1693. (Subject)
- Addams-Williams family, of Llangibby Castle -- Archives. (Subject)
- Williams family, of Llangibby Castle. (Subject)
- Powell family, of Llantilio. (Subject)
- Great Britain. Parliament. House of Commons (Subject)
- Jones, Thomas, approximately 1530-approximately 1620 (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion