Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Lewis family, of Harpton Court
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Lewis family can be traced back to Harpton Court to the mid 16th century when a Thomas Lewis, sheriff of Radnorshire in 1555 was living there. Towards the close of the ensuing century another Thomas Lewis owned the estate. He was succeeded by yet another Thomas Lewis (b. 1690) who represented Radnorshire boroughs in Parliament from 1715 to 1768. He was succeeded by his nephew John Lewis whose second wife was Anne, daughter of Admiral Sir Thomas Frankland.
Their heir was Thomas Frankland Lewis, 1780-1855, who married Harriett, daughter of Sir George Cornewall of Moccas Court, Herefordshire, and sister of Caroline who married Sir William Duff Gordon. Thomas Frankland Lewis was MP for Beaumaris in 1812 and MP for Radnor 1847-1855. He served as Chairman of the Poor Law Commission, 1834-1839, and, in 1843, he also chaired the enquiry into the Rebecca riots. He was made a baronet in 1846.
He was succeeded by Sir George Cornewall Lewis, 2nd baronet, who was MP for Herefordshire, 1847-1852 and Radnor boroughs, 1855-1863. He served as Poor Law Commissioner from 1839 until its abolition in 1847, Chancellor of the Exchequer 1855-1858, Home Secretary 1859-1861, and Secretary of State for War, 1861-1863. He was also editor of the Edinburgh Review, 1852-1855.
On his death in 1863, the estate passed to his brother, the Rev. Sir Gilbert Frankland Lewis, 3rd baronet (b. 1819). He was canon of Worcester 1856, rector of Gladestry in Radnorshire 1832-1860, and of Monnington-on-Wye in Herefordshire, 1832-1864. His heir was Herbert Edmund Frankland (b. 1846). Sir Henry William Duff Gordon, 6th baronet, is noted as residing in Harpton Court in 1951.