NLW MS 12411C.
Letters to Phoebe Lloyd,
- 1782-1804 / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Forty-three holograph letters from Eliza Griffith, Carreglwyd, etc., to Phoebe Lloyd at Soughton, at Hafodunos, etc., 82-1804 and undated (copious news of relatives and friends, accounts of visits to and from Carreglwyd, the vacant living of Aber, the loss of a vessel opposite Trevadog, the prevalence of ague in Anglesey, an accident to a mail coach on the bridge by Holyhead, the death of 'Shone Pedrog', Malltraeth enclosure (1788-1789), Mr. [Holland] Griffith's attendance at a Druid meeting, a riot at Beaumaris, parliamentary election (1796), a recent dreadful duelling in the writer's area, a reference to Barmouth as a fashionable bathing place (1796), a warrant issued against Sir John Bulkeley of Presaddved, a tax of 3/- in the £, Paul Panton's health and reported arrest for £7,000, the enrolment of the Anglesey militia, a shortage of water, comments on the Irish revolt (1798), the death of Mrs. [Mary] Griffith of Berw, the sad situation of the Fleet (1800), the draining of the mine, the prospect of a bad winter as the result of the farmers' refusal to sell their stock at home (1800), the removal of Mr. Sparrow from the Custom House at Beaumaris, current high prices, shocking perjury at the Anglesey Assizes, rumours of a French invasion, a visit to Puffing [sic] Island, a visit from the famous harper Will Edwards, a meeting at Berw about the embankment) (together with an addition by C[atharine] Lloyd).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The description is also available in the Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, Volume IV (Aberystwyth, 1971).
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Formerly known as Wigfair 11.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 12411C.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
- Shipwrecks -- Wales -- Anglesey.
- Fever -- Wales -- Anglesey
- Diseases -- Wales -- Anglesey
- Postal service -- Wales -- Anglesey
- Traffic accidents -- Wales -- Holyhead
- Inclosures -- Wales -- Malltraeth
- Druids and Druidism -- Wales -- Anglesey.
- Riots -- Wales -- Beaumaris
- Elections -- Wales -- Anglesey -- 1796
- Dueling -- Wales -- Anglesey
- Taxation -- Wales
- Water-supply -- Wales -- Anglesey
- Navies -- Great Britain.
- Customs administration -- Wales -- Beaumaris
- Courts -- Wales -- Anglesey.
- Perjury -- Wales -- Anglesey
- Barmouth (Wales)
- Ireland -- History -- Revolution, 1796
- Puffin Island (Wales) -- Description and travel
- Carreglwyd Estate (Wales)
- Anglesey (Wales) -- Militia.
Place access points
Name access points
- Eliza Griffith. (Creator)
- Great Britain. Parliament -- Elections, 1796 (Subject)
- Berw Colliery (Wales) (Subject)
- Griffith, Eliza -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Lloyd, Phoebe -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Sion Pedrog -- Death and burial (Subject)
- Griffith, Holland, Carreglwyd, Llanfaethlu, Anglesey (Subject)
- Bulkeley, John, Sir, 1767-1819 (Subject)
- Panton, Paul, 1727-1797 (Subject)
- Griffith, Mary, Berw -- Death and burial (Subject)
- Edwards, William, harpist (Subject)
- Griffith, Eliza (Subject)
- Lloyd, Phoebe (Subject)
- Lloyd, Catharine, Carreglwyd (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales