NLW MS 21804E.
Letters of bishops, etc.,
- 1691-1909. (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
58 ff. Guarded and filed.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Charles Higham; SPCK, London; Purchase; between 1982 and 1987
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Letters, 1691-1909, of miscellaneous provenance, to and from bishops, mostly of Welsh dioceses, and other dignitaries relating mainly to social, personal and church matters. Among the correspondents are John Randolph, bishop of Bangor (1) [c. 1807]; Edward Copleston (1) 1844, Joshua Pritchard Hughes (1) 1909, Richard Lewis (1) 1901, Alfred Ollivant (4) 1849-1858, and John Shipley (1) 1769, bishops of Llandaf; John Owen (3) 1897-1899, and Connop Thirlwall (7) 1845-1871, bishops of St Davids; Edmund Gibson, bishop of London (2) 1731; Samuel Butler, headmaster of Shrewsbury School, later bishop of Lichfield (2) 1834; and Cardinal Herbert Vaughan, archbishop of Westminster (3) 1886-1893. Also included is a letter, 1790, from Selina Hastings, countess of Huntingdon.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The contents of NLW MSS 21701-22852 are indexed in greater detail in Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, vol. 8 (Aberystwyth, 1999).
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 21804E.
Virtua system control number
GEAC system control number
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Church in Wales (Subject)
- Copleston, Edward, 1776-1849 (Subject)
- Davey, William Harrison, fl. 1870 (Subject)
- Ford, John, Bristol (Subject)
- Gibson, Edmund, 1669-1748 (Subject)
- Huntingdon, Selina Hastings, Countess of, 1707-1791 (Subject)
- Hughes, Joshua Pritchard, 1847-1938 (Subject)
- Lewis, Richard, Bishop of Llandaf (Subject)
- Ollivant, Alfred, 1798-1882 (Subject)
- Owen, John, 1854-1926 (Subject)
- Randolph, John, 1749-1813 (Subject)
- Shipley, Jonathan, 1714-1788 (Subject)
- Thirlwall, Connop, 1797-1875 (Subject)
- Vaughan, Herbert, 1832-1903 (Subject)
- Butler, Samuel, 1774-1839 (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.; AACR2; and LCSH.
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion