Series D12. - King Edward VII Welsh National Memorial Association,

Identity area

Reference code

D12.

Title

King Edward VII Welsh National Memorial Association,

Date(s)

  • 1919-1936. (Creation)

Level of description

Series

Extent and medium

7 folders.

Context area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The King Edward VII Welsh National Memorial Association (W. N. M. A., Cymdeithas Goffa Genedlaethol Cymru y Brenin Edward VII) was set up in 1910, launched mainly by David Davies, MP, later Lord Davies of Llandinam (1880-1944), to combat the prevalence of tuberculosis in Wales. Davies contributed half of the £300,000 raised to fund the Association, and was elected the first president. The Association was granted a Charter of Incorporation on 17 May 1912; it recived legacies and gifts of property to fund its work. By 1921, all 17 local authorities in Wales had agreements with the Association to fund their treatment of TB. The W. N. M. A. provided four services: it funded dispensaries throughout Wales and a research department at the Welsh National School of Medicine, including the David Davies Chair of Tuberculosis; it operated its own residential institutions, including sanatoria at Sully Hospital, Cardiff, and Craig-y-Nos, Brecknockshire; and a department producing educational material and funding anti-tuberculosis lectures. In 1937, a government inquiry reviewed the Anti-Tuberculosis Service in Wales. In 1938, the Association moved into new offices in Lord Davies' newly-opened Temple of Peace and Health in Cardiff. The Association's role became redundant following the National Health Service Act 1948 and it was disbanded. The Association's organisation included a Board of Governors and a Council; in 1928, a Necessitous Areas Sub-committee was established to review provision in South Wales. In 1937, its staff numbered over 1,000. The presidents of the Association included Lord Davies, his widow Henrietta, Lady Davies (died 1948), his son the 2nd Baron Davies (1915-1944) and his sister Miss Gwendoline E. Davies (1882-1951). WNMA participated in two radio pgrammes about its work: 'Getting and Spending on Rates' (1939) and 'Searchlight on TB' (1949). In the course of its work, WNMA amassed a library of government and other publications relating to the incidence and treatment of TB.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Comprises general correspondence and papers, 1919-29 and 1936, relating to the Welsh National Memorial Association. One folder (D12/6) concerns the opening of Sully Hospital in November 1936.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Original folders and arrngement retained.

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Generated finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Note

Preferred citation: D12.

Alternative identifier(s)

Virtua system control number

vtls006342498

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places

Physical storage

  • Text: D12 (Box 131)