GB 0210 JOHHER
John Fisher Manuscripts,
- 1757-1934 (accumulated 1757-1934) / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.353 cubic metres (11 boxes, 14 drawers)
Name of creator
John Fisher (1862-1930), Welsh scholar, was born on 5th January 1862, at Cicoll, Llandybie, Carmarthenshire, the eldest son of Edward and Mary Fisher. He was educated at Llandeilo-Talybont (Pontarddulais) National School, Llandovery School, and St David's College, Lampeter, where he graduated B.A. in 1884 and B.D. in 1891. In 1901, he became rector of Cefn, near St. Asaph, and librarian of the Cathedral Library. In 1916, he became Canon of the Cathedral, and its Chancellor in 1927. He was the Welsh examining Chaplain to Archbishop A. G. Edwards in 1921 and Welsh examiner at St David's College, Lampeter, 1905-1909. From 1917, he was a member of the governing body of the Church in Wales. He served as the general secretary of the Cambrian Archaeological Association, 1914-1917, having been a member since 1899; he was also editor of Archaeologia Cambrensis, 1914-1919; he was elected FSA in 1918, and became the vice-president of the Cambrian Archaeological Association in 1925. He died on 9th May 1930. David Richard Thomas (1833-1916), cleric and historian, was born in 1833. He was the Rector of Llandrinio, 1892-1916, and was appointed Canon of St. Asaph, 1881, and Archdeacon of Montgomery in 1866. He was the Chairman of the Cambrian Archaeological Association Committee and editor of Archaeologia Cambrensis, 1875-1889 and 1884-1888, to which he contributed regularly. He died on 11th October 1916. The Rev. E. J. Fisher of Meifod (fl. 1930s) may have been a relative of John Fisher's. He left Ruthin for Cefn on 3 April 1901.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Source not recorded.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Papers of John Fisher, including undated notebooks bearing miscellaneous notes; edited manuscripts of Kynniver Llith a Barn, 1931, and many other lists, catalogues and indexes, including indexes to Folk-lore of Carmarthen, 1895, History of the Gwydir Family, 1927, the Cymmrodor, Volumes 33-40, the Transactions of the Cymmrodorion Society, 1924-1931 and Archaeologia Cambrensis, 1901-1922; 1923-1926; addresses 1904-1916; miscellaneous press-cuttings, 1888-1928; press-cuttings relating to him, 1891-1928; St David's College, Lampeter, examination papers 1884, 1905-1908; D. R. Thomas papers, 1833-1916; and Rev. E. J. Fisher letters and manuscripts, 1932-1934; and miscellaneous manuscripts, 1757-1932.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
All records donated to the NLW have been retained.
Accruals are not expected.
System of arrangement
Arranged into the following: manuscripts of John Fisher; manuscripts and papers of Rev. E. J. Fisher, Meifod; D. R. Thomas manuscripts; and miscellaneous manuscripts.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright laws apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the National Library of Wales.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents of fonds.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales
Rules and/or conventions used
Description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.; AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: NLW Schedule of Manuscripts of Chancellor John Fisher; Dictionary of Welsh Biography down to 1940 (London, 1959)
Compiled by Seri Crawley for the ANW Project.