J.E. Powell Ironmonger (Wrexham)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

J.E. Powell Ironmonger (Wrexham)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

J. E. Powell, Ironmongers, was established when he took over the running of the business from his father Evan Powell, about 1875. The business had expanded from an ironmongery firm founded by Richard Jones of High Street, Wrexham, around 1784, and was passed on to his son, John Jones. Evan Powell, John Jones's nephew, managed the shop until it was passed on to J. E. Powell. In 1880, J. E. Powell had premises in 6 Town Hill, 4 College Street and 7 Abbott Street, Wrexham, and the business was described as being an 'agricultural implement dealer, braziers and tinplate workers, iron and steel merchant and ironmongers'. By 1911-1912 the business also included 'cycle makers' and in 1923 it is stated that J. E. Powell was a 'cycle and motor agent'.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC