Part of Welsh Baseball Archive,
Part of Welsh Baseball Archive,
A collection, accumulated by the Lloyd family of Plas Power, comprising an unpublished sixteenth-century treatise; annotated copies of works by Moses Williams (1685-1742) and John Worrall (d. 1771); an English-Welsh dictionary and material for a Welsh dictionary; transcripts of Welsh poetry, of an essay by Robert Vaughan of Hengwrt (1592?-1666), and of George Ripley's (d. c. 1490) 'The compound of alchymy', 1471; treatises, vocabularies and other texts in Latin and Greek; genealogies of Welsh families; sixteenth-century rental accounts relating to North Wales; an account of proceedings in Parliament for the year 1620; a translation of Christopher Sutton's (c. 1565-1629) Disce mori ...; a version of Piers Plowman; and other items.
Lloyd family, of Plas Power
Part of Plas Power Manuscripts
Latin texts in prose and verse, the bulk of the contents relating to astronomy. There are numerous coloured sketches and diagrams.
Steeds notes on the Montgomeryshire Liberal Association
Part of Lord Davies of Llandinam Papers,
File comprises notes made by David Steeds for his unfinshed biography of Lord Davies along with some original doucments related to the Montgomeryshire Liberal Association.
Part of Brogyntyn manuscripts
Manuscripts, mostly in English or Latin, deposited at the National Library of Wales in 1938.
Important mediæval manuscripts and later literary and historical manuscripts, [12 cent, first ½]-[late 19 cent.], reflecting the collecting interests of the Maurice and Owen families of Clenennau and Brogyntyn.
They include an important mid-fifteenth century miscellany of prose and verse in Middle English (Brogyntyn MS II.1); English and Welsh poetry; plays; astrology and prophecies; chronicles of the history of Britain, one of which is a thirteenth century version of Historia Regum Britanniæ of Geoffrey of Monmouth (Brogyntyn MS I.7); a lute book, [c. 1595] (Brogyntyn MS I.27); a copy of the laws of Hywel Dda [1625x1632] (Brogyntyn MS I.12); legal precedents and other papers of legal interest in Latin and English; pedigrees, genealogy and heraldry of North and South Wales families; religious treatises, prayers, devotions and sermons; a seventeenth-century Latin-Welsh dictionary and other manuscripts of linguistic interest; extracts from classical literature; commonplace books; academic notes; copies of significant historical letters and documents; political tracts; moralistic and philosophical works; memoranda, journals and private papers of members of the Anwyl and Owen families; a few Brogyntyn estate and trust papers, 1727-1792; and notes on public offices and official papers deriving from the administration of Oswestry Corporation, 1660, 1673. Some ancilliary materials, [19 cent, second ½]-[1960s], mostly correspondence and notes relating to individual manuscripts, are also included (MSS I.27a, II.1a, II.10a, II.22a, II.42a, II.54(h), II.56a).
Part of Brogyntyn manuscripts
The Explanatio in Psalmos attributed to Haimo of Halberstadt (ff. 1-68 verso), here imperfect by the loss of a quire at the beginning: ']ipse semper est rex iudeorum ... et corpore spirituali et subtili'. The text, corresponding to Migne, Patrologia Latina cxvi, cols. 237-693, begins in the commentary on Psalm 15 and, unaccountably, breaks off at the foot of the first column of f. 68 verso, where the remaining column would have sufficed to complete the commentary on Psalm 150. Written in England, the manner of writing in omissions and the 'dragon initials', but not the script, are suggestive of Canterbury or Rochester.
Written by one good hand. Punctuation by point and punctus elevatus; hyphens. Ink brown. Omissions are regularly made good by writing in small in the margin with a signe-de-renvoi, sometimes by the scribe, sometimes by another hand, sometimes, otiosely, by both (cf. N. R. Ker, English Manuscripts in the Century after the Norman Conquest (Oxford, 1960), p. 50). Nota marks are by the scribe. Spaces for tituli, at least up to f. 45, were originally left blank, perhaps to be filled in in red; they were later filled in in ink, by the scribe, in capitals. Between ff. 21 verso and 45, tituli, written small, now partly cropped, appear in the outer margin.
Peniarth Manuscripts Collection
A collection of manuscripts, [12 cent.]-1909, from the library of Peniarth, Merionethshire, the core of the historic collection being that of the library accumulated at Hengwrt, Merionethshire, by Robert Vaughan during the seventeenth century. The collection includes many of the most important Welsh language manuscripts, including the Black Book of Carmarthen (Peniarth MS 1), the Book of Taliesin (Peniarth MS 2), the White Book of Rhydderch (Peniarth MSS 4-5) and Brut y Tywysogion (the Chronicle of the Princes) (Peniarth MS 20), as well as important manuscripts in other languages such as the Hengwrt Chaucer (Peniarth MS 392), the Law of Hywel Dda (Peniarth MS 28), Beunans Meriasek (Peniarth MS 105) and Bede's De natura rerum (Peniarth MS 540B).
Part of Gwysaney manuscripts
Oak covers, formerly covered with a thin layer of silver-plate, of which only two small pieces remain. The lower cover is the only remaining part of the pre-1696 binding, and is probably original; cut into it is a sunken panel 283 x 187 mm., with a chamfered edge stopped on the inside by a bead; in the centre of the panel, originally attached by three rivets, is a gilt-bronze (copper-alloy) image of Christ in Majesty 171 x 114 x 300 mm., which was made in England, 13 cent.; it has replaced an earlier ornament, probably also a Christ in Majesty, and has been associated with the volume since at least 1659, and probably since the late medieval period. The upper cover was replaced by Robert Davies when he had the volume re-bound in 1696 (an inscription in the sunken panel reads 'Librum hunc temporis injurias passum novantiquo tegmine muniri curavit / R.D. / Ao 1696'); the marks of use suggest that it is of considerably older origin. The manuscript was re-bound, 15 or 16 cent., and again at the British Museum in 1892. It was unbound again at NLW in 2006, and the old covers were then considered unsuitable for re-housing the manuscript. For exhibition purposes, the 1892 case-binding with its oak boards has been placed on a false book-block of paper, coloured to replicate the original.
Part of Gwysaney manuscripts
The Gospel of St Matthew and a compilation, [c. 1120]-[c. 1133], of copies of charters, saints' Lives and other records and literary material relating to the medieval diocese of Llandaf. The text of the earliest charters appears to date from c. 500, and additions have been made up to c. 1619, but the bulk of the historical, legal and hagiographical material was copied and compiled under the auspices of bishop Urban (consecrated in 1107), with the purpose of using the historical and legal record to provide his newly-styled diocese of Llandaf with antecedents that would assist his efforts to convince the papacy of the ancient primacy of the bishopric over its neighbours, Hereford and St Davids, and also to define its position in relation to the metropolitan claims of Canterbury.
Manuscripts, [c. 1120]-[1942x1959], formerly part of the library of the Davies-Cooke family at Gwysaney, Mold, consisting mainly of family papers and manuscripts in Welsh or of Welsh interest.
The manuscripts include the Liber Landavensis (Book of Llandaff), [c. 1120]-[c. 1133]; volumes of Welsh pedigrees, [16 cent.], and Welsh poetry, [16 cent.]; Richard Davies's translation into Welsh of St Paul's Pastoral Epistles, [1546x1563]-[1567x1581]; a manuscript of the Brut in English, [1460x1479]; sermons, [17 cent.]-1811; inventories, catalogues and schedules relating to books, deeds and other property at Oulton, Owston, Llannerch and Gwysaney, 1750/1-1801; a travel journal of Bryan Cooke, 1790-1797, and journals of continental tours by Phillip Davies Cooke, 1815-1824; records of dues for the parish of Mold, 1581-1590; rentals and accounts of the Llannerch and Gwysaney estates, 1730-1843; surveys of the Llannerch and Gwysaney estates, [18 cent.]-[early 19 cent.]; valuations of part of the Gwysaney estate in Flintshire, 1809; pedigree rolls, 1604-1771, of the Davies, Puleston and Meredith (of Allington) families; and several groups of letters, including transcripts and memoranda, and other papers, relating to the Puleston, Davies, Cooke, Davies-Cooke and other families, [1487x1503]-1901.
Davies-Cooke family, of Gwysaney and Owston
Part of Gwysaney manuscripts
Contents in full (Latin unless otherwise specified): [ff. i-ii blank]; a fragment of unidentified text, largely illegible, probably patristic (f. iii); part of a quodlibet of Simon of Faversham (ff. 1-4 verso [flyleaves]); the Gospel according to St Matthew, from the Vulgate (ff. 5-28); [f. 28 verso blank]; the Life of Elgar the Hermit (f. 29); the Life of St Samson of Dol (ff. 29 verso - 36); a description of the city of Rome, and the titles of the cardinals (f. 36 verso); an account of the pontificate of pope Eleutherius (f. 36 verso); agreement between Robert, earl of Gloucester, and bishop Urban of Llandaf, 1126 (f. 37 recto-verso); papal letters and privileges of pope Honorius II (ff. 37 verso - 42 verso); exhortation of cardinal John of Crema in support of the diocese of Llandaf (f. 43); summons of William, archbishop of Canterbury, to a Council of London, summoned by John of Crema, papal legate, and the statutes of the Council (ff. 43-44 recto); two accounts of bishop Urban's first and second journeys to Rome in 1128 and 1129 (f. 44); papal letters of Honorius II and Innocent II (ff. 44-47 verso); an account of the foundation of Llandaf (ff. 48-49); charters of St Dyfrig (ff. 49-51); the Life of St Dubricius (Dyfrig) (ff. 51-53 verso); letter of Ralph, archbishop of Canterbury, granting an indulgence to those who would assist the church of Llandaf (f. 53 verso); letter of bishop Urban to pope Calixtus II (ff. 53 verso - 54); an account of bishop Urban's activities at the Council of Rheims in 1119 (f. 54); solemn privilege and papal letters of Calixtus II (ff. 54 verso - 56); Canons of the Council of Rheims (f. 56); the Life of St Teliau (Teilo) (ff. 56 verso - 62 verso); the privilege of St Teilo, in Latin (f. 63 recto-verso) and Welsh (f. 63 verso); charters of St Teilo (ff. 64-66 verso); the Life of St Oudoceus (Euddogwy) (ff. 66 verso - 69 verso); charters of St Euddogwy (ff. 69 verso - 75); charters and notes on episcopal successions up to the election of bishop Urban in 1107 (ff. 75-112 verso); the consecration of bishop Herewald (f. 108r-v); confirmation by Morgan Hen (f. 102 recto-verso); 'Omnipotens sempiterne deus ...', a collect for the Feast of St Teilo (f. 113); 'landauen' in tantum ...', dues of the archdeaconry of Llandaf (f. 113); 'Hec beneficia collata sunt Landauensi ecclesie per Henricum landauensem episcopum' (f. 113 verso); 'Nomina regum Britannie ...' to 1199 (f. 113 verso); 'Hec sunt estimaciones ecclesiarum commune landauensi ...', in a late 13 cent. hand (f. 113 verso); transcripts of papal bulls, added in a number of mid 12 cent. hands (f. 114); '[Eleutherius na]tione grecus ...' (f. 114 verso); 'Sub Innocentio ... heresis' (f. 114 verso); 'Memorandum ... monstarunt', dated 1332 (f. 114 verso); 'Pater noster ...' (f. 114 verso); 'Om[nibus] ... Pauli', dated 1245 (f. 115); 'V[niuersis] ... Knaytha et multis aliis' (f. 115); 'Carta Johannis de Hybernia', dated 1328 (f. 115); 'La Newlonde', extracts from the Exchequer of Pleas, 1304-1305 (f. 115 verso); 'In villa Wintonensi ... in episcopos' (f. 115 verso); 'Nos auctoritate ... assignamus', possibly referring to the consecration of Nicholas Ashby, 1441 (f. 115 verso); forms of oath of bishop and canons (f. 116 recto-verso); statutes of bishops William de Braose, 1275, John of Monmouth, 1323, John of Eglesclif, 1326, and John Paschal, 1354 (ff. 116 verso - 117 verso); names of the bishops of Llandaf from Dubricius to John Paschal, consecrated 1344, with a continuation to Theophilus Field, consecrated 1619 (f. 118 recto-verso); various memoranda relating to the diocese of Llandaf, including forms of oaths as on f. 116 (f. 119), statutes as on ff. 116 verso - 117 verso excepting those of John Paschal (ff. 119-120), a list of bishops to John Paschal with later additions to Nicholas Ashby (f. 120), 'Nomina episcoporum qui fuerunt in Ecclesia Landauensi ... Fet a rembrer ke en le tens de ces xl Eueskes ... MoCCCoxlviio. Et obiit apud' (ff. 120 verso - 121 verso), 'De procuracionibus annuis debitis domino Episcopo Landauensi ...' (f. 122 recto-verso), 'Synodalia debita' (ff. 122 verso - 124 verso), 'Nomina prebendarum' (f. 124 verso), 'Decima ad opus domini pape vel domini regis Anglie' (ff. 125-126) and 'Que beneficia ecclesiastica spectant ad collacionem Episcopi Landauensis' (f. 126 verso); and a leaf from a collection of decretal letters of pope Alexander III, mostly addressed to English bishops, and interspersed some of Gregory I and one canon of the third Lateran Council of 1179 (f. 127 recto-verso [flyleaf]); [ff. 128-129 verso blank]. For a fully detailed list of the contents of the manuscript, see Daniel Huws in idem, Medieval Welsh manuscripts, 146-150.
Penrice and Margam Estate Records,
Estate and family records of Mansel, later Talbot, of Penrice, and its estates in Gower, Glamorgan, from the 16th cent.; including records of Margam Abbey, 12-19th cent., including charters from its foundation in c. 1147, together with royal charters, charter rolls and papal bulls, which form one of the most complete series of archives of any medieval abbey in Great Britain; substantial early archives for Penrice, and other estates, mostly in Glamorgan; manorial records for the manor of Margam Abbey and others; early records of the coal industry in Glamorgan; a large group of Mansel correspondence, 1568-1848, along with some papers relating to Williams of Plas Dyffryn Clydach, largely literary, 17th cent.-18 cent.
Talbot family, of Margam and Penrice Castle
Pitchford Hall (Ottley) Papers
Family and estate papers of the family of Ottley of Pitchford Hall, Shropshire, of Charles Cecil Cope Jenkinson, 3rd Earl of Liverpool (1784-1851), and later of the Cotes family, including extensive correspondence, 1684-c.1793, mostly centered on Adam Ottley (1653-1723), bishop of St Davids, and Adam Ottley (1685-1752), registrar of St Davids, including a series of letters from Browne Willis (1682-1760), 1716-1723, and some civil war correspondence and literary papers, 16 cent.-18 cent; estate papers, mainly deeds relating to Pitchford Hall, Salop, mainly in the areas of Bridgnorth and Pitchford, with some lands in adjoining counties, c. 1150-1820; including almost a thousand medieval deeds.
Ottley family, of Pitchford Hall
Deeds relating to the estates of the Ottley family of Pitchford Hall, Shropshire
Part of Pitchford Hall (Ottley) Papers
Deeds relating to the estates of the Ottley family of Pitchford Hall, Shropshire, mainly in the areas of Bridgnorth and Pitchford, with some lands in adjoining counties, including almost a thousand medieval deeds.
Estate and family records, 1183-1957, of the Wynn and Williams Wynn family of Wynnstay, Denbighshire. The archive includes a group of architectural drawings, c. 1770, by James Byres; a group of early charters and deeds, 1183-1676, from the Cistercian Abbey of Strata Marcella (Ystrad Marchell) near Welshpool, Montgomeryshire, and elsewhere; antiquarian, legal and literary manuscripts; account rolls of Sir Richard Wynn, Treasurer to Queen Henrietta Maria, 1627-1649; manorial records relating to manors and boroughs in Denbighshire, Montgomeryshire and Shropshire, 1364-1895 (1934-40 and 1952 deposits); parliamentary election papers for Anglesey, Cardigan (county and borough), Denbighshire, Flintshire and Montgomeryshire, 1621-1883; family and estate correspondence, including part of that of Sir William Williams (1634-1700), Speaker of the House of Commons; rentals and account books, 1300-1925 (preserved in an almost unbroken series from the time of Sir William Williams); over 5000 title deeds and documents, [pre-1290]-[c. 1910], mainly relating to properties in the six North Wales counties and Shropshire, including records for Glascoed and Llanforda, Llwydiarth, Llangedwyn and Glanllyn, Plas-y-Ward, Rhiwgoch and Mathafarn, estates acquired either by marriage or purchase in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries; together with papers relating to administration of the estates, 1573-1946; family papers, 1499-1913, county and central government administration papers, 1608-1880; two discrete groups of Much Wenlock estate records, 1534-1860, and Nantcriba estate records, 1381-1680; and various maps. There is an additional group of papers relating to the Wynnstay estate which came from the office of Longueville Gittins solicitors, Oswestry, dated 1582-1957.
Williams Wynn family, of Wynnstay
Manuscripts, [late 12 cent.]-[early 20 cent.], formerly part of the library of the Mostyn family of Mostyn Hall, Flintshire, comprising transcripts and extracts from Giraldus Cambrensis, Geoffrey of Monmouth, Dares Phrygius, Nennius, Gildas, David Jenkins (Judge Jenkins), Sir John Wynn of Gwydir, Lydgate's 'Life of Our Lady', Leland's Itinerary, 'Chroniques de France', historical manuscripts such as Brut y Tywysiogion and Brut y Brenhinoedd, Welsh romances and the Mabinogion; collections of mainly Welsh poetry, among them the seventeenth-century volumes Llyfr Coch Nannau and Llyfr Gwyn Corsygedol, containing poems by Dafydd ap Gwilym, Guto'r Glyn, Tudur Aled, Siôn Cent and others; genealogies, pedigrees and histories; official papers relating to Caernarvonshire; catalogues of the Mostyn and Gloddaeth libraries, 1692-1842; etc.
Part of Mostyn Manuscripts
The Vulgate text of St Luke's Gospel preceded by the usual prologue (F. Stegmuller, Repertorium Biblicum Medii Aevi, Madrid, 1950-61, no. 620) (ff. 1-121 verso). Lucas, syrus natione, et antyochenus, arte medicus ... (f. 2) quam fastidientibus prodesse. Quoniam quidem multi conati sunt ... et benedicentes deum. The prologue has interlinear glosses by the scribe of the text, some of them giving variant readings. The text has marginal and interlinear glosses by the scribes of the text. These are the Glossa Ordinaria with a good number of additional marginal glosses (comparison with the Glossa Ordinaria in PL 114) all, so far as has been ascertained, deriving from Ambrose and Bede. There are further glosses on the text and on the Gloss in several contemporary smaller glossing hands, probably including both the main scribes, interlined and in the outer margin. Text flanked by gloss, varying number of columns. 35-38 lines (hands A and B), 44 lines (hand C, except when he has to match A or B), the text on alternate lines. Written above the top line. Ruling in plummet includes three sets of three lines at top, middle and bottom of the written space drawn across the full width of the page.
Written in good textura by three hands: A, ff. 1-17, 37-41 , 43 recto-verso; B, f. 17 verso; C ff. 18-32 verso, 42 recto , 44-121 verso. C writes a textura prescissa except when matching A or B. The Gloss is written in a smaller textura by each of the scribes, additional glosses in small glossing hands. Omissions by A have been made good by C. Ink is black-dark brown. Syntax letters and marks appear a few times (e.g. ff. 1 recto-verso, 11 verso).
The catalogued portion of the archive contains records of the family of Owen, later Humphreys-Owen, of Glansevern, and Johnes of Garthmyl, mainly comprising title deeds and documents, [late 12 cent.]-1929, mainly relating to property in Montgomeryshire; estate papers, 1767-1924, including rentals, accounts and surveys; records relating to Campobello island, New Brunswick, Canada, 1767-1902; substantial family correspondence, 1633-1926, political correspondence of Arthur Charles Humphreys-Owen, 1856-1905, including letters from Lord Rendel; naval papers of Captain William Owen, 1746-1778, [c. 1797]. The uncatalogued part of the archive includes correspondence of the Owen and Humphreys-Owen families, 1754-1905; pedigree of the Owen family, 1839; and material relating to S. P. F. Humphreys Owen, [c. mid 20 cent].
Humphreys-Owen family, of Glansevern