A folio volume lettered on the spine 'Pennant's Tour to Harrowgate', and inscribed on the title-page 'Tours in Durham, Yorkshire, Hampshire, Dorsetshire, and Buckinghamshire, by Tho[mas] Pennant'. The contents consist of accounts of three tours, (a) From Alston Moor to Harrowgate (128 pp. followed by itinerary and index), (b) From Cowes to Lyme Regis (59 pp.), and (c) Tour in Buckinghamshire (15 pp. followed by an incomplete itinerary to (b) and (c)). The first sentence of the text, which reads 'I now resume the tour which I had left unfinished at Alston Moor, p. 234 of vol. XXII of the Outlines of the Globe', appears to connect the present volume with the twenty-two manuscript volumes of Pennant's work entitled Outlines of the Globe, now in the possession of the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich. The account of the first tour is substantially the same as that given in the version edited and published [by David Pennant], under the title A Tour from Alston-Moor to Harrowgate and Brimham Crags; by Thomas Pennant, Esq. (London, 1804). There are occasional variations in wording and phrasing, and some variation in content, such as the omission in the published work of the manuscript account (pp. 87-93) of the visit to Newby Hall, and the list given of the paintings and sculpture to be found in that residence. The break which occurs in the narrative in the printed version (p. 111), occurs also in the manuscript account (p. 112). The first part of the tour, undertaken in 1773, was brought to an end when the traveller reached Knaresborough, and the second part of the journey, consisting of a visit to Harrowgate, and thence to Ripley Hall and Brimham Crags, in the parish of Halifax, was not undertaken until 1777. The manuscript account lists, without describing, places in Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Staffordshire, and Cheshire, visited, or passed through, by the traveller on the return to Downing in 1773. This is not done in the published version. The account of tour (a) is profusely illustrated with some seventy-seven illustrations. Of these, twenty-one are original drawings, and include wash or water-colour drawings of Bradley Hall, Raby Castle (2), Rippon Minster, Fountain's Abbey (2), [one of the standing stones called the Devil's Arrows, situated west of Borough Bridge], and St. Robert's chapel [Knaresborough], all signed by Moses Griffith; wash or water-colour drawings of Brance speth Castle (Durham), Raby Castle, [two more of the Devil's Arrows previously mentioned], and [Brimham Crags], all unsigned, but probably by Moses Griffith; a water- colour drawing of Winston Bridge, signed S. Wilkinson; a sketch of an effigy of Sir William Slingsby, signed by Moses Griffith; and sketches of an effigy of William de Whitworth in Whitworth churchyard, Danish camps on Thornborough Heath, an entrenchment on Gateshill, near Knaresborough (inserted), and an inscribed pig of lead found on Kayshaw Moor (inserted). The remaining illustrations are mostly engravings, chiefly in line, and include portraits of John Egerton, bishop of Durham, Thomas [Percy], earl of Northumberland, John Hacket, bishop of Lichfield and Coventry, John Cosin, bishop of Durham, Sir Henry Vane, the elder, Sir Henry Vane, the younger, John Pym, R. Hutchinson, Ralph [Hopton], lord Hopton, [Isabel], duchess of Grafton, Louis XIV, George Villiers [4th] duke of Buckingham, Basil Fielding [sic] [2nd] earl of Denbigh, Charles V, Ludovicus Requesentius, Eugene Aram (convicted at York, 1759, for the murder of Daniel Clark of Knaresborough), and Ann Allan of Blackwell Grange; and topographical illustrations of Witton Castle, the tower of Witton Castle, Bradley Hall, Brance-speth Castle, Staindrop Church, Athelstan Abbey, Eggleston Abbey, Winch Bridge over the Tees, Iron Bridge near Chooka, Caldron Snout on the Tees, Tees Force, Wycliffe Hall, Ravensworth Castle, Hack Fall (2), the Moon Pond and the Temple of Piety with part of Studley Park, Fountain's Abbey, Knaresborough Castle (2), the entrance to St. Robert's Chapel, near Knaresborough, the inside of the said chapel, Harrogate, and Brimham Crags (2). Inset are a copy of a letter from Tho[ma]s Robinson of Pickering, to Roger Gale of Scruton, 1724 (archaeological remains in part of Yorkshire), and a holograph letter from W[illia]m Burgh, from York, to Thomas Pennant, at Downing, near Holywell, 1774 (notifying recipient that he was sending him a sketch of the south- east aspect of Fountain's Abbey, suggestions as to making an engraving from the sketch) (the sketch itself is inset with the letter). The accounts of tours (b) and (c) do not appear to have been published, and neither is illustrated. As in the case of the two preceding manuscripts, NLW MSS 12706-12707E, the scribe was again possibly Thomas Jones.