Fonds GB 0210 DEROND - Derry Ormond Estate Records,

Identity area

Reference code

GB 0210 DEROND

Title

Derry Ormond Estate Records,

Date(s)

  • 1621-1927 (predominantly 1750-1927) / (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

0.295 cubic metres (11 boxes)

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Derry Ormond is in the parish of Betws Bledrws, Cardiganshire. Thomas Lloyd, a younger son of David Lloyd of Crynfryn, is the earliest recorded occupier. He married Margaret, daughter of Thomas ab Owain of Bronwydd. Derry Ormond remained in the hands of the Lloyd family until it was sold by James Lloyd of Bronwydd for #700 in 1760 to David Jones, a cattle dealer and drover.

Under David Jones, Derry Ormond became a centre of Methodism, where William Williams ('Pantycelyn', 1717-1791) frequently preached. David Jones, sheriff of Cardiganshire in 1773, died heavily indebted in 1775, and the estate was sold by his creditors in 1783 for #1,575 to a John Lewis on behalf of John Jones (b. c. 1745), a London surgeon-apothecary. He bought further freeholds in Cardiganshire, including the Glanfread estate for #7050 from Lord Cawdor in 1803, demolished the old Derry Ormond and built a new house.

He was succeeded by his son, Thomas John Jones (1745-1817), who was a founding partner of Banc y Llong (1806-1814) at Aberystwyth. John Jones (d. 1835) succeeded his father, built a new house at Derry Ormond, 1824-1827, designed by C. R. Cockerell, and demolished his father's house. In 1828 John Jones married Charlotte Elizabeth Jesson of Hill Park, Kent, and a son, John Inglis Jones (1829-1879) was born a year later. He purchased part of the Foelallt estate in Llanddewibrefi, Cariganshire, for #15000 in 1850 and the Maesycrugiau estate in Carmarthenshire, for #6600 in 1879. John Inglis Jones was succeeded by his son, Wilmot Jones, who married Winifred, the daughter of Alfred Montalto. The family changed its name to Inglis-Jones in 1898. After Wilmot Inglis-Jones died in 1949, the mansion was sold for #3,000 in 1950, and demolished in 1953.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Deposited by Major J. A. Inglis-Jones of Camberley, Surrey, 7 October 1960.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The archive comprises almost entirely of title deeds, 1621-1927, of the Derry Ormond estate, co. Carm., mainly dating from its acquisition in 1783 by the Jones family, later Inglis-Jones.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Action: All records deposited at NLW have been retained..

Accruals

Accruals are not expected.

System of arrangement

Arranged chronologically.

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.

Conditions governing reproduction

Usual copyright laws apply.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

English.

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Hard copies of the catalogue are available at NLW and HMC. They catalogue can be accessed online from <A HREF="http://www.llgc.org.uk:81/index.htm">http://www.llgc.org.uk:81/index.htm</A>

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

A small group of nineteenth century documents, accounts, corrrespondence, etc., are in NLW, Ivor Evans Papers (uncatalogued).

Related descriptions

Publication note

Inglis Jones, Elisabeth, 'Derry-Ormond', Ceredigion, vol. 2 (1954), pp. 127-137; Barnes, Tudor, 'Derry Ormond: some new evidence', National Library of Wales Journal, vol.XXII (1981-82), pp. 214-225.

Notes area

Note

Title supplied from contents of fonds.

Alternative identifier(s)

Virtua system control number

vtls004250296

GEAC system control number

(WlAbNL)0000250296

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

September 2001.

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Archivist's note

Compiled by Stephen Benham.

Archivist's note

The following sources were used in the compilation of this record: Nicholas, Thomas, Annals and Antiquities of the Counties and County Families of Wales (London, 2 vols, 1872), vol. I; Inglis Jones, Elisabeth, 'Derry-Ormond', Ceredigion, vol. 2 (1954); Barnes, Tudor, 'Derry Ormond: some new evidence', National Library of Wales Journal, vol.XXII (1981-82); Jones, Francis, Historic Houses of Cardiganshire and their families (Newport, 2000);

Accession area