- 1903-2014 / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
2014 Donation: 1 large and 1 small archival boxes.
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Mrs Cathrin Roberts and Mr Rob Roberts, the composer's daughter and son-in-law; Donation; November 1996 (see Annual Report 1996-97, p. 62)
Mrs Cathrin Roberts and Mr Rob Roberts per Mr Giles Easterbrook, Daniel Jones's agent; Donation; June 1999
Mrs Cathrin Roberts and Mr Rob Roberts; Southsea; Donation; October 2014
Mrs Cathrin Roberts and Mr Rob Roberts; Southsea; Purchase; January 2015
Mrs Cathrin Roberts and Mr Rob Roberts; Southsea; Purchase; October 2018
Mrs Cathrin Roberts and Mr Rob Roberts; Southsea; Purchase; October 2019
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The archive comprises music manuscripts divided into juvenalia and early works, [1917x1934], orchestral works, 1933-1992, concertos, 1943-1986, instrumental and chamber music, [1930x1993], piano music, 1930-1955, organ music, 1973-1978, choral music, 1950-1979, solo voice with accompaniment, 1934, oratorio and cantatas, 1958-1987, sacred music, 1949-1974, opera, 1961-1968, incidental music, [1930x1960], miscellaneous papers, 1934-1936, and sketches. There are also letters to Daniel Jones, 1918-1993, copies of letters written by Daniel Jones, 1931-1991, material relating to compositions, 1946-1993, lectures, articles and scripts, [c. 1951]-, adjudications, reports and reviews, [1953x1993], thesis, notes and bibliographies, [1925x1993], papers of Egyptian, Mexican and Oriental interest, correspondence and papers, [1925x1993], relating to Daniel Jones's visit to Czechoslovakia in 1955, his visit to the Soviet Union in 1960, papers concerning various guilds and committees, 1949-1992, papers concerning the Swansea Amateur Symphony Orchestra, [c. 1931]-[c. 1932], papers relating to questions of contracts and copyright, 1948-1960, personalia, divided into honours and certificates, 1929-1993, competitions and higher degrees, 1935-1954, curricula vitae and testimonials, 1939-1954, photograph album and scrapbooks, 1937-1960, miscellaneous papers, 1925-1957. There are also printed materials, [1914x1993], and press cuttings, 1945-1993, relating to Daniel Jones's life and to performances of his work. There is also a group of the papers of Jenkin Jones, comprising music manuscripts, 1917-1934, correspondence, 1903-1935, an essay, 1935, copyright material, 1916-1917, printed material, 1903-1918, and press cuttings, 1905-1918.
A further small group of papers comprising letters, articles, reviews and programmes were received October 2014. This group was introduced as the final Sub-fonds, entitled 2014 Donation, in January 2016. Also, spool tapes of music and a collection of cassettes were received and transferred to NSSAW.
Two manuscripts: Under Milk Wood score and Fourteen Leider peices were received January 2015. See description for Series A and Series M for further information.
Further correspondence, diaries and notes received in 2018.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
- Cantatas -- Wales -- 20th century -- Scores.
- Chamber music -- Wales -- 20th century -- Scores.
- Choral music -- Wales -- 20th century -- Scores.
- Concertos -- Wales -- 20th century -- Scores.
- Drawing -- Wales -- 20th century.
- Incidental music -- Wales -- 20th century -- Scores.
- Instrumental music -- Wales -- 20th century -- Scores.
- Operas -- Wales -- 20th century -- Scores.
- Oratorios -- Wales -- 20th century -- Scores.
- Orchestral music -- Wales -- 20th century -- Scores.
- Organ music -- Wales -- 20th century -- Scores.
- Piano music -- Wales -- 20th century -- Scores.
- Sacred music -- Wales -- 20th century -- Scores.
- Symphony orchestras -- Wales -- Swansea.
- Czechoslovakia -- Description and travel.
- Soviet Union -- Description and travel.
Place access points
Name access points
- Jones, Daniel, 1912-1993. (Creator)
- British Broadcasting Corporation. Central Music Advisory Committee (Subject)
- Committee for the Promotion of New Music. (Subject)
- Composers' Guild of Great Britain. (Subject)
- Guild for the Promotion of Welsh Music. (Subject)
- Swansea Amateur Symphony Orchestra. (Subject)
- Jones, Daniel, 1912-1993 -- Archives. (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion