- 1568-1959 / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.114 cubic metres (5 boxes)
Name of creator
Cyfronydd Hall lay in Castell Caereinion, Montgomeryshire, and the estate included lands in the nearby parishes of Welshpool, Guilsfield and Llangynyw. The Pryce ancestry descended from Bleddyn ap Cynfyn. By the seventeenth century Cyfronnydd was in the hands of William, son of Oliver Pryce. William Pryce married Margaret vch John Bishop. Their son, Thomas (?d. 1699), married Lydia, daughter of Lodwick Lewis of Arwystli. The estate was owned by John Pryce in 1733, when he married Grace Carreg of Cemaes Bychan, Montgomeryshire. Pryce Jones (1767-1858) inherited Cyfronnydd and he married three times, firstly to Mary Browne of Mellington, secondly to Jane Davies (died 1825) and thirdly to Elizabeth Davies, daughter of Rev. Robert Davies, brother of John Davies. The Aberllefenni estate in Tal-y-llyn, Merioneth, was acquired through his second wife, Jane Davies, the daughter of John Davies of Machynlleth, owner of the Aberllefenni estate and slate quarries. Their son, Robert Davies Jones, adopted the surname Pryce in 1858. He married Jane Charlton of Apley. Their eldest son was Athelstan Robert Pryce, born in 1849. By 1938, Cyfronnydd Hall was purchased by Montgomeryshire County Council and it was used for a girls' residential school until the 1990s. The present building dates from 1865, replacing the earlier seventeenth century structure.
The original numeration of the parcels has been retained. The Cyfronnydd papers donated in 2006 were inherited by the Plackett family from Miss Hylda Palmer, the beneficiary of Mrs Ada Pryce (died 1958). The documents were in storage with the Plackett family prior to their donation to NLW.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Donated by Miss Hylda Emma Palmer, Beeston, Nottingham, per Mr J.E. Williams, National Provincial Bank, Machynlleth in 1959. Further papers were donated by Mr Alan Plackett, Lowdham, June 2006.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Deeds, 1568-1959, relating to the Cyfronnydd estate mainly in Merionethshire and Montgomeryshire; records relating to the Aberllefenni Slate Quarry, Merioneth, 1850-1946; a pedigree of the Pryce family [post-1699]; and faculty papers relating to an application for a grave space, 1937-1943.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Action: All records donated to NLW have been retained..
Accruals are not expected.
System of arrangement
Arranged by parcel. Additional papers (2006 donation) arranged in chronological order.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright laws apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
A hard copy of the 1959 catalogue is available at NLW.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Virtua system control number
GEAC system control number
Name access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
October 2002; May 2014.
Compiled by Mair James, amended by Hilary Peters.
The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: NLW, Schedule of Cyfronnydd Estate Records; Montgomeryshire Collections, Vol 19, pp. 132-139; Country Life online, 14 November 2013.