GB 0210 RONEVANS
Councillor Ron Evans Papers,
- 1944-1987 / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.247 cubic metres (23 boxes)
Name of creator
Councillor Ron Evans was an active Labour Party supporter, and served as Secretary to the Ebbw Vale Constituency Labour Party, Monmouthshire, (from 1982, Blaenau Gwent Constituency Labour Party), 1951-1987 and a Gwent County Councillor. He was also the election agent to Aneurin Bevan (1897-1960) and Michael Foot (b. 1913) and a chairman of Gwent Health Authority.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Donated by Councillor Ron Evans, Gwent, 1988.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Papers of Ron Evans comprising party records of the Ebbw Vale Constituency Labour Party, subsequently the Blaenau Gwent Constituency Labour Party, 1951-1987, including a minute book, 1980-1983, correspondence and papers of and concerning Aneurin Bevan, 1951-1972, general correspondence, 1956-1982, and constituency subject files, 1954-1987, some of which contain papers concerning Ebbw Vale and Blaenau Gwent Constituency Labour Parties and Michael Foot; papers relating to local government, 1965-1987, and general elections, 1959-1987; correspondence and papers concerning the South East Wales European Constituency Labour Party, 1978-1987; subject files concerning matters such as Local Government Reform and Devolution, 1961-1979, Gwent Health Authority, 1973-1985, Heads of the Valleys Standing Conference, 1965-1980 and the British Steel Corporation, 1966-1977; together with miscellaneous papers and printed materials, 1944-1987.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Action: All records donated to the National Library of Wales have been retained..
Accruals are not expected.
System of arrangement
Arranged into the following: Ebbw Vale Constituency Labour Party (to 1982) and Blaenau Gwent Constituency Labour Party; local government; elections; South East Wales European Constituency Labour Party; subject files; and miscellaneous.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Papers less than 15 years old may not be consulted without the written permission of the donor. Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright regulations apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the National Library of Wales.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
- Elections -- Wales -- Blaenau Gwent.
- Local government -- Wales -- Monmouthshire.
- Political parties -- Wales -- Monmouthshire.
- Public health -- Wales -- Monmouthshire.
- Elections -- Wales -- Ebbw Vale.
- Blaenau Gwent (Wales) -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Decentralization in government -- Wales.
- County council members -- Wales -- Archives.
- Election districts -- Wales -- Blaenau Gwent.
- Election districts -- Wales -- Ebbw Vale.
- Ebbw Vale (Wales) -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Blaenau Gwent (Wales)
- Ebbw Vale (Wales)
Place access points
Name access points
- Evans, Ron, local political agent. (Creator)
- Blaenau Gwent Constituency Labour Party. (Subject)
- British Steel Corporation. (Subject)
- Ebbw Vale Labour Party. (Subject)
- Gwent Health Authority. (Subject)
- South East Wales European Constituency Labour Party. (Subject)
- Welsh Regional Council of Labour. (Subject)
- Bevan, Aneurin, 1897-1960 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Foot, Michael, 1913-2010 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Evans, Ron, local political agent -- Archives (Subject)
- Bevan, Aneurin, 1897-1960 (Subject)
- Foot, Michael, 1913-2010 (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales
Rules and/or conventions used
Description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.; AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Compiled by Seri Crawley for the ANW Project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: NLW, Schedule of Ron Evans Papers;