GB 0210 BACBYD
Bachymbyd Estate Records,
- 1243-1910 (mainly 1417-1820) (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1.334 cubic metres (32 boxes, 2 wooden cases, 1 roll, 5 volumes)
Name of creator
The Salusbury family was established at Bachymbyd, Denbighshire, by John Salusbry, the fourth son of Thomas Salusbury of Lleweni (d. 1471). The family acquired the Rug estate in Merioneth following the marriage of John's eldest son, Piers, with Margaret Wen, daughter and heir of Ieuan ap Howel ap Rhys, lord of Corwen. Rug rather than Bachymbyd became the most important family seat, though most of the estate comprised the Bachymbyd portion around Ruthin in Denbighshire. The estate expanded further when Sir John Salusbry (d. 1580) acquired the lordship of Glyndyfrdwy. The entire estate was divided into two by William Salesbury following a bitter quarrel between him and his eldest son Owen over the latter's marriage to Mary, daughter of Gabriel Goodman of Abenbury, Flintshire. William split the estate between Owen, who received the Rug and Merioneth portion of the estate, and his second son, Charles, who received the Bachymbyd and Denbighshire portion. Charles Salusbury died without heirs and the Bachymbyd estate was inherited by his daughter Jane, who married Sir Charles Bagot of Blithfield, Staffordshire, in 1670. Despite an attempt to reunite the two estates by Jane's nephew, William Salusbury, in the court of Chancery in the mid-1670s (which resulted in William's brother Gabriel fleeing to the continent for a while for procuring a forged deed) the estate remained in the hands of the Bagot family until most of it (17,500 acres) was sold in 1928. Sometime prior to 1723 the Bagot family acquired Pool Park, some three miles away from Bachymbyd, which eventually became the Bagot family's chief seat in Wales. For a century at least, the estate was administered in two units: Bachymbyd and Pool Park and, certainly by the time the estate was sold in 1928, the estate was known as Pool Park rather than Bachymbyd.
It appears that the Welsh portion of the Bagot estate archive was housed at Pool Park until it was sold in 1928 and the records transferred to Blithfield. Another part of the archive, almost all relating to the English estate, was held by Messrs Foyer, White and Prescott, the estate's London solicitors. These records were transferred to the National Library of Wales in 1942 after the firm's offices suffered bomb damage to be followed in the next two years by the records of the Welsh estate.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Deposited by Messrs Foyer, White, Borrett & Black, London, in October 1942, by Lord Bagot of Blithfield, Staffordshire, in 1943 and 1944, and by Lady Bagot in March 1975. The first three deposits were purchased by NLW in 1978 and the last in 1986.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Deeds, 1243-1801 (mainly 1550-1700) relating to the Bachymbyd and Rug portions of the estate, but mainly the former, rentals, 1669-1933, maps, plans, surveys, etc., mainly 1750 onwards, and letters, 1545 onwards; ministers' accounts and receiver generals' accounts of the Devereux family, lord Ferrers, 1404-1409, 1525-1551, a grant from Owain Glyn Dwr, 1392, legal papers in a cause in Chancery relating to the ownership of the estate, 1674-1677, and Civil War papers, including the papers of William Salesbury, the royalist Governor of Denbigh castle 1643-1646.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
All records deposited or purchased by NLW have been retained apart from records relating to the English estate deposited in 1942 which were deposited by NLW at Staffordshire Record Office in October 1983..
Accruals are not expected.
System of arrangement
Arranged into three groups: Bagot letters, Bachymbyd deeds and Bachymbyd rentals.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright laws apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Hard copies of the catalogue are available at NLW. The publication by W. H. Smith mentioned in the publication field serves as the catalogue for the early correspondence. A substantial number of deeds and family letters, mainly 1710-1730, 1800-1820, remain uncatalogued. An online catalogue of the Bachymbyd Estate Rentals can be accessed from <A HREF="http://www.llgc.org.uk:81/index.htm"> http://www.llgc.org.uk:81/index.htm</A>
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
The letters of the Salusburys of Rug, 1565-[1694x1718] are calendared in Smith, W. H., Calendar of Salusbury correspondence, 1553-circa 1700 (Cardiff, 1954).
Title based on contents of fonds.
Virtua system control number
GEAC system control number
Place access points
Name access points
- Bagot family, Barons of Blithfield. (Creator)
- Bachymbyd Estate (Wales) -- Archives. (Subject)
- Rug Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Denbigh Castle (Denbigh, Wales) (Subject)
- Pool Park Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Bachymbyd Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Salisbury, William, -1660 (Subject)
- Glendower, Owen, approximately 1354-1416 (Subject)
- Bagot family, Barons of Blithfield -- Archives (Subject)
- Devereux family, Viscounts Hereford (Subject)
- Salusbury family, of Rug and Bachymbyd (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.; AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: The Dictionary of Welsh Biography down to 1940 (London, 1959), Griffith, John Edwards, Pedigrees of Anglesey and Carnarvonshire Families (Horncastle, 1914), Principal family and estate collections, A-K (London, 1995)
Compiled by Mair James.