Showing 1957 results

Authority record

Adams family, of Holyland

  • Family

The Adams family resided at Holyland, Pembrokeshire, from the end of the 16th century until the death of Major John Loftus Adams during the 1940s.

Addams-Williams family, of Llangibby Castle.

  • Family

The Williams family acquired the Llangibby Castle estate (anciently called Tregrug) following the purchase of the estate by Roger Williams (d. 1585) of Usk in 1544-1545. He was succeeded by his son, Rowland Williams, followed by his son Charles Williams, who became MP for Monmouthshire in 1621. He was succeeded by his son Sir Trevor Williams who played a prominent role in the civil war in Monmouthshire, siding first with the King, then with the Parliamentarians before rejoining the royalists in 1648.

The estate remained in the hands of the Williams family until the death of Sir John Williams without male issue in 1739. His daughter Ellen (1724-1781/2), who inherited the estate, married William Addams of Monmouth who assumed the additional surname of Williams.

Anwyl family, of Chester and Pontypridd

  • Family

The Anwyls of Chester and Pontypridd can be traced to the Anwyls of Caerwys who still resided in Caerwys in 1816 when Edward Anwyl was born. Like his father John, he was a weaver. In 1841 Edward had a son John 'Ioan Anwyl' (1841-1921), born at Chester. When Edward died the whole family moved to Chester. John married Ellen in 1863 and had five children. He was a deacon at his local church, and also served as Church secretary. He also preached at local Welsh churches, and was the Chairman of the Flint and Denbigh 'Undeb' in 1904. In 1906, they moved to Pontypridd, so that they could assist John Anwyl who lived there.

The first son, Edward, was educated at Oriel and Mansfield College, Oxford. In 1892, he was appointed Professor of Welsh at the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth. He played a leading role in many of the College's activities, and also acted as a member of the Central Welsh Board of Secondary Education in Wales. He was knighted in 1911. The second son, Hugh W. Anwyl, became Headmaster of the Council School, Corwen, where he married Winifred Jones in 1897. He died in 1916. The third son, William Anwyl (1870-1952), was an engineer in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire. He married in 1899 and had a daughter, Ellen Catherine Anwyl (b. 1902). The only daughter of John and Ellen, Catherine Miriam (1871-1953) cared for her mother, and also her blind brother. She worked for the British Women's Temperance Association in Chester and Pontypridd.

The Rev. John Bodfan Anwyl (1875-1949) became a Congregational minister, receiving his first appointment at Elim chapel, Carmarthen in 1899. However, following an illness he became deaf and later took on the post of Superintendent of the Deaf and Dumb Mission at Pontypridd in 1904. He edited many editions of Spurrell's Welsh-English Dictionary.

Anwyl family, of Park

  • Family

The Maurices and the Owens were linked by descent and by marriage to several other prominent familes in North Wales, Shropshire and Ireland.

Results 1 to 20 of 1957